Central WA Baja

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
jg210302

Re: Central WA Baja

Post by jg210302 »

So Jealous!!! Don't tell me that is right out your back door right?
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

jg210302 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:16 pm So Jealous!!! Don't tell me that is right out your back door right?
Funny.... it kinda is. Its about 15 miles from my place and can get there via dirt pretty much from the house or about 5 miles of 35mph back roads. But we tossed the car on the trailer and towed the 15 miles because it had been raining in the AM and I did not need any police action with my lack of fenders.

That was pretty much my first look at this road. I think I may have been on it a few years back in my jeep but I am not sure. Though I am sure that if I did do it in my jeep, it was not at that pace lol I will try and post the 2nd time through there with a littler more pace and some bigger air times resulting in the loud SMACK of the front beam.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Sweet trail Daron!
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Oh, and a small ding in the front skidplate means the car is no longer a trailer queen. At least, not entirely.

I encounter SO MANY people who complain that their skidplate is not strong enough if it gets a mark like that. Then they''ll have a thick ass skidplate that doesn't extend down under the beam. Go figure.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Well the front plate is 1/4" 6061 and the floor is 1/8" 6061 both are against the bottom tube of the beam with the front lapping over the bottom...or at least it did. The bottom beam tube which "is" and will and some point in the near future be "was" .120 wall DOM that now has a pretty good size flat spot in it. It was a pretty good hit LOL

Here you go...2nd pass up through the same section of trail and a bit more beyond. Smack the rock at 2.07 and its kinda funny how its like a full 4 minutes later I decided to ask JT what we hit LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La3rgJc5WAM
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

What temper of 6061? It makes a lot of difference. -T6 is going to be a lot stronger than -0 which is a temper you usually form in then HT to something else. With your bead roller and ability to form metal like you did you are going to be pushed a bit to strengthen the sides like where you are showing the damage but you can do a lot of strengthening inside of a flat (or even moderately formed) panel.

Bending the edges for strength (90° flanges) but there is also a length the straight part of the bent flange needs. To give you a minimum flange length I would need to know the gauge and temper of your 6061.

For 6061-0 the flange length .51.

For 6061-T4 the minimum flange length would be .65.

For 6061-T6 the minimum flange length would be 1.12.

Joggling and hydropressing are even different and some AL materials don't even show in the tables. Bending metal in a Oh-Oh situation is very different than intentionally bending metal. :roll: :wink:

Edit:

http://www.thefabricator.com/article/al ... inum-alloy

I'm adding this just for some information. I think there is more involved than what he is saying but it gives some idea on AL use. Its been a long time since I did any "tin" bending/design work.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Ok, give it up, what is in store for the front????
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Full race parts without going all the way to 2" hollows and 934 CV's
Big Beam, Big arms, Big Spindles and maybe a ram to steer it we'll see.
Parts collecting should begin soon.

And FWIW this is something I almost did before finishing the car but decided to just get it running.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

CentralWAbaja wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:31 am Well the front plate is 1/4" 6061 and the floor is 1/8" 6061 both are against the bottom tube of the beam with the front lapping over the bottom...or at least it did. The bottom beam tube which "is" and will and some point in the near future be "was" .120 wall DOM that now has a pretty good size flat spot in it. It was a pretty good hit LOL

Here you go...2nd pass up through the same section of trail and a bit more beyond. Smack the rock at 2.07 and its kinda funny how its like a full 4 minutes later I decided to ask JT what we hit LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La3rgJc5WAM
Nice run, like seeing the front tire popping up, suspension getting some usage .
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

dustymojave wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:04 pm Oh, and a small ding in the front skidplate.........
:shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I wonder if adding a doubler on the underside of the tube might help. It might be spaced away some or even might be made removable. A rock slider doubler is one thing though but a compression hit doubler is something totally different.

That tube, in that area, looks to be totally compromised. It sure looks like a tooth jar'er of a hit.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
petew

Post by petew »

Ouch! :(
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Kissed it good
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

I checked out back, I don't have one of those for ya.

CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

When you offload the car and look at the hump in the road next to where you parked and think "Hmmmmm I bet I can catch air off that" LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgMR4Q7X7-w

Not to mention its one of the coolest engine noise vids to date :wink: