Excitement can kill a build, or you.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
dustymojave

Re: Excitement can kill a build, or you.

Post by dustymojave »

In California, in a car which came from the factory equipped with 3-point belts, (1968 year model and later) 3-point factory type seat belts are required to be worn. Even if you have 5-point competition belts. That's because the makers of race seat belts have never bothered to spend the money to get their products approved by the DOT. It's NOT because they're not as safe. I keep running across people on the foolnet saying that having a roll cage when driving on the street is unsafe. That's kinda like arguing that seat belts are unsafe. If the cage is clear of the passenger's head and the riders are properly belted in, it is way safer than without a cage. I personally feel that a good inducement to fools to wear their damned seat belts would be to install spikes on the dash boards of all cars. And then no spike injuries would be dealt with by hospitals.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

dustymojave wrote:In California, in a car which came from the factory equipped with 3-point belts, (1968 year model and later) 3-point factory type seat belts are required to be worn. Even if you have 5-point competition belts. That's because the makers of race seat belts have never bothered to spend the money to get their products approved by the DOT. It's NOT because they're not as safe. I keep running across people on the foolnet saying that having a roll cage when driving on the street is unsafe. That's kinda like arguing that seat belts are unsafe. If the cage is clear of the passenger's head and the riders are properly belted in, it is way safer than without a cage. I personally feel that a good inducement to fools to wear their damned seat belts would be to install spikes on the dash boards of all cars. And then no spike injuries would be dealt with by hospitals.

Yeah there is that but if a cop wanted a reason to pull me over he could for many other reasons and id assume unless they are just trying to ruin days they would see a harness and assume its fine. There is also laws abut roll cage tube thickness.

But that's not really my question mine is more of if i were to say crash in a full cage with a stock civic seat and a 3 point retractable belt would it be a major safety concern vs a lets say prp seat and a 5 point.

what about lets say a folding back civic seat with 5 point. access to the back is a big concern
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

My Baja has folding back sport seats. The roll cage has a removable shoulder harness bar retained with aircraft quick release pins for access to the back. It has a 3rd seat in back with 5-point harness.

Whether the Honda Civic seat with 3 point is as safe as an offroad suspension seat with 5-point depends more on how you mount all of those pieces, than on the intrinsic safety of the seat or harness. The suspension seat provides better lateral support than the Civic folding seat. And the 5-point, if installed right is safer than the 3-point installed right.

But install any of those pieces unsafely, and the whole deal goes out the emergency room window.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Good info, thanks for all the input guys.