Lord Bajamungus build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
kyle_pc_75

Re: Lord Bajamungus build

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

I've obviously been busy with last minute stuff for BOR, and I've conceded that I won't have this thing running by Vernal, but I'm still working on it as much as I can. Today I found out that late Beetle and Thing front brake hoses are not created equal (in length). Easily remedied, it appears 65-66 Beetle hoses will work.

I have a couple of questions, though.

With the 002 transaxle and 10 degree mount, ACVW motor:

How have you guys routed the throttle cable so it doesn't rub against the bottom of the firewall? Just bent up some small tubing to run it through? That's my plan.

What have you guys done for the whole clutch cable/bowden tube setup?

Pics would be awesome, thanks.
TimS

Post by TimS »

I just used a piece of plastic liner and ran it along the contact points. The cable slides inside for the most part.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

PM
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Maybe not what you want to hear but Morse boat cable for throttle and hydro clutch. But its been over 20 years since I have had a clutch cable so I cant even remember how and where that works. I just know over the years we tried various throttle cable methods with my favorite being the shoelace and hand operated version LOL
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I thought I sent you a PM but it isn't there.

I don't use a Bowden tube. I am running an 091 but not nose down. I forget just what I did on mine (no pix here) but I should be where my buggy is next Thrusday and if you haven't finished up on this I will take some pictures so let me know.

On the throttle cable I have a short piece of brake line bent slightly to point down and it goes through the shroud held in place by spark plug boots.

On the teleflex/Morse cable. For what it is worth (and this is from memory as I did the research in the mid-90s or maybe before that by a few years): I was advised not to use it, many years ago, as where the cable enters and exits the housing dirt, dust and other debris can collect there and stop or limit its travel. Also, if the bend radius gets tighter and tighter there can be some binding in the cable and slow down on the back and forth action. I had it on my "stink pot" but even the marine sales businesses (and I checked several aound the area) did not recomend using it other than marine use.

But to be honest, I still see and hear of it used occasionally.

Lee

up-date: When I first started in on my black buggy it was to be for the street and with a Cologne V-6 w/091 transaxle. When I was looking into the throttle hook-up problem one of the other things I now remember being told, when I went into the marine stores (where I had bought goods for both my "rag baggers" and my "stink pots" and it was where I was given the advice not to use them. The main reason, as I remember, had to do with the seals at each end of the teleflex/morse cable and the bend radius (and cost). On a boat they used to be used for push-pull steering vs. cable and pulleys that went around the cockpit of the boat. They were also used in the throttle which is where I remember there being problems with occasional jamming of the throttle and wear. It did work fine as long as the bends weren't too tight as I have already mentioned. But it was more the seal problem that I was warned about but again, that was in the last century too.
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Fri May 12, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

It was also dealing with water and corroding surface of the end inner wire shield which then grinds the lip of the seal. instead of dust and dirt and occasional splash of water.

I've had a morse cable shifter on the C6 trans in my F100 for 40 years (1977). It's pretty tired now and could use replacement. But same as the rest of the truck. I'm not real keen on morse cables for VW throttle cables mainly because of the issues of angle at the carb end.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

dustymojave wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 pm It was also dealing with water and corroding surface of the end inner wire shield which then grinds the lip of the seal. instead of dust and dirt and occasional splash of water.

I've had a morse cable shifter on the C6 trans in my F100 for 40 years (1977). It's pretty tired now and could use replacement. But same as the rest of the truck. I'm not real keen on morse cables for VW throttle cables mainly because of the issues of angle at the carb end.
Yes to the corrosion also. For us here by the ocean or Puget sound (I used to live a couple of blocks from the sound and at a elevation of ~50') salt water and even salt air are both buggers for sure.

I think the Morse cables (at work they were called Teleflex cables; I did design work with them too. If you search for either Morse cable or Teleflex cable you should come up with almost the same places) I was looking at were SS cable units which is a harder (on the seals) but (usually) a smoother material.

The auto trans shifter cable is not like a clutch cable load wise. The angle part of it is also the bend radius thing I was mentioning. Potential tight bends needed in tight places. The angles between bug and bus transaxle's are different angles too. One of the reasons I went to hydraulics.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Morse cables I've dealt with aint gonna cut it for a clutch cable. For a throttle cables yes. I've worked on some friend's boats that had serious corrosion on the ends of their morse steering and throttle cables. So I'm aware of those issues. But they don't take much angle at the end.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Cage is in! Going to get some backing plates make for the floor mounts, bolt it down and then weld it up! Thanks Bo!

Vent and roll down windows open without opening the doors!

Fuel cell mount ready to go.

n8ball

Post by n8ball »

Yeah buddy, looking good!