Posting pictures

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Posting pictures

Post by Leatherneck »

Off-Roaders as you know we can now upload pictures from our computers but the deal is they need to be limited to 600 X 800 . When making the size to fit STF, you will have to do it before loading or otherwise it will show as a link. One of the most important reasons is now we are paying for storage space, we have 10 gig, that is 10 gig spread throughout STF not just the OF forum. So lets limit the size of the pics otherwise we will have to pay for extra space.

Below David58 has a tutorial on posting pics. Any questions, you need any help ask we are all here to help.
david58 wrote:We can now upload pictures straight from from our computers and other media storage devices, but your PIX need to be no bigger than 600 X 800 . You may have to re-size your PIX before uploading or otherwise it will show as a link. So lets limit the size of the PIX so we don't have to pay for extra space. Any questions, you need any help ask we are all here to help.

Dale M. wrote:Easy quick and dirty software to accomplish this "resize" is IRFANVIEW...

Its free and all you have to do is load image into IRFANVIEW, select "Image" in tool bar, slide down and select "Resize/Resample" and punch in the numbers for re-size or select proper "size" from predetermined sizes.....

http://www.irfanview.com

Again, best of all its FREE........
Edit: Changed picture pixel to correct size. Thanks doc.
doc
Site Admin

Re: Posting pictures

Post by doc »

A small correction. Pics cannot be bigger than 600x800 if they are to show in the post. 640 pixels wide will display as a link. This is to insure that pics will appear on screen without scrolling across and to conserve storage space.

Thanks to all for paying attention to this.

doc
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Easy quick and dirty software to accomplish this "resize" is IRFANVIEW...

Its free and all you have to do is load image into IRFANVIEW, select "Image" in tool bar, slide down and select "Resize/Resample" and punch in the numbers for re-size or select proper "size" from predetermined sizes.....
screen.jpg
http://www.irfanview.com

Again, best of all its FREE........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
CopperBaja

Post by CopperBaja »

You can also use image resizer from Microsoft. Free app and doesn't take up much hard drive space. Also some other good stuff too.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Down ... rtoys.mspx

Link to DL is on the right. ;)
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

CopperBaja wrote:You can also use image resizer from Microsoft. Free app and doesn't take up much hard drive space. Also some other good stuff too.

That is a great little app. The camera in my phone doesn't do 800x600, so this program is perfect.
CopperBaja

Post by CopperBaja »

Lotrat wrote:That is a great little app. The camera in my phone doesn't do 800x600, so this program is perfect.
Not to mention that all you do is right click and 'resize to ____' Don't have to open up another app.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Lotrat wrote:
CopperBaja wrote:You can also use image resizer from Microsoft. Free app and doesn't take up much hard drive space. Also some other good stuff too.

That is a great little app. The camera in my phone doesn't do 800x600, so this program is perfect.
STF needs to have 600 X 800 (or smaller) not vice-versa. I fell for that one too.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Leatherneck wrote:
Lotrat wrote:

STF needs to have 600 X 800 (or smaller) not vice-versa. I fell for that one too.
Huh? 800x600 or 600x800 works fine. It's the file size that matters. It needs to be less than 256kB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Going by what the boss said.
doc wrote:A small correction. Pics cannot be bigger than 600x800 if they are to show in the post. 640 pixels wide will display as a link. This is to insure that pics will appear on screen without scrolling across and to conserve storage space.

Thanks to all for paying attention to this.

doc
But, looks like it works to me.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Guys read through this on posting pics if you are having problems and PLEASE make sure your pics are resized for the forum something around 600x800 works, you get much bigger and a lot of people will have to scroll side to side to see the whold pic, gets to be a PITFA.

Need any help don't hesitate to contact a Mod, make em earn there money. like they get paid.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Will video work on a direct upload. I haven't had good luck either way.

Lee
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Will video work on a direct upload. I haven't had good luck either way.

Lee
Lee I have not tried that but don't think so as that really eats up the valuable bandwidth. Youtube is a good one to use for that.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Does posting pictures from photobucket take up space on your server?

I've been building my how to thread (Here, and all of a sudden it doesn't like my pictures, even the ones that are already on there.

I was going to put a disclaimer in there "if this helped you please donate", cause I know it takes up some space, but I was hoping that using photobucket relieved some of the pressure off your server.

Any advice?
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
AdminSteve
Site Admin

Post by AdminSteve »

doesn't really use bandwidth but the image size is a concern. larger images that have not been re sized tend to scroll off screen and break the layout of the site. Doc and Leather have touched on this in the beginning of this thread I changed the image settings for the board to limit the size of images being posted to 800px wide by 800px tall will work for portrait or landscape.(thanks ts39136)

Sorry if this has caused any problems. :oops:
fusername

Post by fusername »

I fully approve of limiting the image size to avoid side scrolling. 800 is a touch small but I am not complaining. however is it possible to have the board scale images that are linked from OUTSIDE hosting sites, so say I link to a 1028x999 image (its a metric camera), the board will display it as a 800x whatever. ? I have seen some links online saying phpbb seems to support this, but this is outside my real understanding.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.