==HUGE BUG-Type4 Engine Cage==

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
MNAirHead

==HUGE BUG-Type4 Engine Cage==

Post by MNAirHead »

Howdy.

I'm the goof ball who attached a photo of the t4 FI system in a baja.

( http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=85560)

ENGINE CAGE QUESTION
Does a stock engine cage fit around a T4?

I've been running without... getting to the point of fabbing up for our next bug... was hoping I could cut apart a stock cage and then fab from there.

I'm aware that some cross bars would be prudent... I'm also aware that the cage should connect to the roll cage...

I've got a funky idea of putting a "luggage" tray on top of the cage -- bottom side would protect/conceal the FI stuff... the top side would hold the cooler.

Any ideas or photos? (type4 or REALLY cool rear cages)
GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine »

I can't help ya with the type 4 fitting in question, sorry. But since I don't have a bender and I had a couple of cages, I "getto-fabbed" this puppy up for mine:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/184092.jpg

The bottom is a just a stock style empi HD version (extra bars/bracing) and the top was the plain ol' single tube that was on the car before. I just cut it off right under where the plate sits and basically welded it to the top of the empi. The supports in the front that run from the top was just extra length cut off from where the og cage went to the shock mounts, and the brush guard over the lights, this was done to go with my matching "gettoed'" roof rack, was part of a portable ironing board that was in the closet (SHHH, my wifes been lookin' for that :shock: )

I was thinking about doing what you are wanting to do, a rack above. When I started putting it together I kinda fit the leftover curved bars that I cut off the one cage (they would be the ones that run to the frame horns) onto the top of the cage, running them up to the old hinge mounts for the decklid. it would have been a neat place for a basket type rack that could be easily removed. I was worried about heat from the exhaust though and it started to get really odd looking at that point!
Boneloader

Re: ==HUGE BUG-Type4 Engine Cage==

Post by Boneloader »

MNAirHead wrote: ENGINE CAGE QUESTION
My stock-cooled T4 baja had THIS cage around it when I got it... (have since switched to T1 power until I rebuild the T4).

Oh, hey... :lol: ever seen a
HOLLEY DOUBLE PUMPER on a T4? heheh

Anyway, here's some pics when it was all together:

Compare it to an "original" cage?
(I think the previous owner just modified to accept the T4 rear hanger.)

~Troy
MNAirHead GUEST

Post by MNAirHead GUEST »

Troy.

Cowl
I get a REAL kick out of your rear cowl. Any idea what it is --- it looks totally 80s bikini girl (I'm sorry "Tricked") Anyone know where I can find one?

Holley
What is your carb? NEVER seen one like this... I"m sure it's got to be better than a webber... Please do tell more.

Mark D.

GHETTO FABBED?
Man -- that's one of the nicest cages I've seen yet... very cool.... About the Rack.. I was actually thinking of using a spare rack we have for our ATC (3 wheeler)... Nice work.
mike@crosbys

Post by mike@crosbys »

i dont know how to post pix, i've tried 5000 times, but we tie christmas trees to our rear engine cages :D
vwtrey

Re: ==HUGE BUG-Type4 Engine Cage==

Post by vwtrey »

Boneloader wrote:
MNAirHead wrote: ENGINE CAGE QUESTION
My stock-cooled T4 baja had THIS cage around it when I got it... (have since switched to T1 power until I rebuild the T4).

Oh, hey... :lol: ever seen a
HOLLEY DOUBLE PUMPER on a T4? heheh

Anyway, here's some pics when it was all together:

Compare it to an "original" cage?
(I think the previous owner just modified to accept the T4 rear hanger.)

~Troy
hey, those look familiar...

trey
Boneloader

Post by Boneloader »

MNAirHead GUEST wrote:Troy.

Cowl
I get a REAL kick out of your rear cowl. Any idea what it is --- it looks totally 80s bikini girl (I'm sorry "Tricked") Anyone know where I can find one?
Mark, I didn't know the answer to your question until recently--there's a post on TOF discussing this "old school engine cover" and someone posted this:

It's appearantly one of the original Miller-Havens designs--the originator of the baja kit in the late 60's (the ad above showcases a later design, I'm told. The original is circled). There are a couple of other cars over there with the same cowl.

Sadly, I sold this car this summer. But I am still doing some work on this one and other cars for the buyer. He might be open to trading the old school cowl for some new pieces I have.

I'm building a new baja--would like to use my ragtop body on it. That old cowl would be a nice topper.

~T