DesertGuy 2.0

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
DesertGuy

DesertGuy 2.0

Post by DesertGuy »

Since I sold the baja I have been looking around for another project and seeing what was available. After looking at ridiculously priced cars or cars that the craftsmanship was less than desirable, I have decided to build another car. However, this one will be done a bit different... mostly computer designed first.

The "new" project will be a little wider and a little longer than the baja. Each corner will have a coil carrier/bypass... the front will be an A-Arm configuration and the rear will be a 934 midboard set-up (Dave Brown will be making another set of awesome arms for the back). The chassis will be a V hull style and be a 2+ seater. The car will be designed primarily to race locally and will be to SCORE spec. The car should be about 3200 pounds completed. Basically, it should take the shape of a baja with a Class 10/Class 1 chassis underneath. At least that is the current direction.

I should have most of the CAD files done within the next few months and then I'll start sending them off to be laser cut. Once the chassis starts being put together then things should move along... Until then I am just gathering parts and working on the computer. So we will see where this thing goes... posting to this thread will most likely be limited until metal starts getting welded.

I have had the opportunity to talk to many smart folks regarding chassis and race design and am amazed at the level of knowledge some have. A big thanks goes to GetRDone for the "schooling" on the software... he be a genius. :lol:

A couple of pics to see where I am heading... or at least until I become bored and just buy something. :wink: :lol: :lol:

These are about two weeks ago and a few mods/corrections have since been addressed. Hope you like-y.

tikotiko

Post by tikotiko »

lucky :shock:
I just wanna drive it that's it.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

tikotiko wrote:lucky :shock:
I would have to say determined. Going to be sweet !
Kraut_n_Rice

Re: DesertGuy 2.0

Post by Kraut_n_Rice »

DesertGuy wrote: ..Basically, it should take the shape of a baja with a Class 10/Class 1 chassis underneath. At least that is the current direction....
So, does this mean it will have a VW shell on it, or are you just gonna have the aluminum done to give a similar line?
'68 Baja project. FOR SALE
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Ahhhh........shucks, I am flatterd. Looks good, but I feel like I opened my christmas present early since I had a sneak peak. Looking forward to another killer build. Preparing fur Poorman 4 seater V1.2.
baja5

Post by baja5 »

Getrdone wrote:Ahhhh........shucks, I am flatterd. Looks good, but I feel like I opened my christmas present early since I had a sneak peak. Looking forward to another killer build. Preparing fur Poorman 4 seater V1.2.
Thought it already way V1.2 with the new motor and all :lol:
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

DG, if you need any help with the design just let me know :lol:
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

Sounds like a fun project, I can't wait to see what happens. I'm sure it will turn out awesome.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Shotgun!
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Awesome DG. I know the new car will be top notch just like everything you have done. Cant wait to see some metal being turned into a car. 8)
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
zancat

Post by zancat »

Looks like a great project!

What SW are you guys using? Solidworks?

I use OSD (One Space Designer)... It doesn't do tubing very well though.

Zancat
Zancat
DesertGuy

Post by DesertGuy »

Zancat, I am using Solidworks 2008. It is a pretty powerful program and I probably know less than 1% on how it works. The "learning curve" for the program has definately slowed me in the process but all good things come to those that wait... at least I hope.
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

Sounds like exactly what i've been dreaming of building... and i'm sure it will be impressive.

Are you going to do another vert'? or a hard top this time?
Baja5 was right...
fl_buggy

Post by fl_buggy »

I do AutoCAD work for a living and am starting a 4 seater frame build shortly. I'd love to utilize my CAD experience in designing the frame, but am not sure where to start. This will be a fairly simple mid travel beam car, but can you guys give me any tips on the design process?
gpohls

Post by gpohls »

Sweet....DG , man you are one smart and tenacious guy. My respects