930 Stub axle and CV's

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
kcnaz

Post by kcnaz »

Anyone have a link to good info on the 934's?
Offroading vicariously
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Been hard finding good info on them, lots of sellers not lots of info on or about them.
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

My German 930 would clank at 22. and really bang at 25. I just replaced them with race prepped empi 930. s far it looks good. out f the box the empi felt much better . One of my Germans did work well with a race cage and stock other parts. After removing my old (maybe 500 miles CV) they did feel better than they were at new. I guess they worked out some kinks? I now have 3 extra CV's to learn how to prep.
www.BigMikesGunAndAmmo.com
Thomas Jefferson said It may be necessary for a country to have a revolution every 200 years to right the wrongs of a Government.
Got Lead?
kcnaz

Post by kcnaz »

From another site talking about 934 cv's.....it was stated that the 934 goes to 26 degrees ( can't ever remember the degree code)
the post asks where they can be found and the answer was.......
The only set up for the 934 cv is the micro stub system and it has special trailing arms that use larger hub carriers and disc brakes. They are EXTREMELY expensive!!
Still searching.
Offroading vicariously
zancat

Post by zancat »

kcnaz wrote:Anyone have a link to good info on the 934's?
934's are usually used in a high HP applications, not so much for more travel...

What info are you looking for exacly? I am not real familiar with them, but have a few sources that are...

Zancat
Zancat
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

Well after changing my CV's here is what I found.

Stock German 930cv are in bad shape the hardened surface on the center star is braking off on all 3 stock CV's I broke off on the face where the balls do not touch. only on the side where the ring clip goes. all the races and balls are fine the outer cages have some rough parts on the area where the balls ride. The race prepped German CV was in bad shape. the outer body was in great shape the race has compressed spots making the ball have a pocket like area. It is CM not cheap steel. the center star has the same compressed look. Like the wheels were locked and 500 HP was put to the CV bending the inner parts where the balls were at. This CV could have been used I dont know. the Shop put it in for me but did not charge me. I bought only 3 new race prepped CV's I have used a star out of another cv and put the race cv back together. It will have to work until I get another one in. Going to the dunes next week. 4 days from now.
Thomas Jefferson said It may be necessary for a country to have a revolution every 200 years to right the wrongs of a Government.
Got Lead?
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Just out of curiosity - how do you know the outer race was 4130? Was that what you were told, or is it stamped on the part?
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Where those the ones with only 500 miles on them?
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

Skidmark wrote:Just out of curiosity - how do you know the outer race was 4130? Was that what you were told, or is it stamped on the part?
I guess it is a guess from the shop telling me it was, and he said it cost 160$. It looks just like the other CM ones I have that are new and is the same dark color like the new ones Also the shape is the same. not like the stock. The other stock 930's are still silver looking.

Yes leather they are the same ones that have 500 or so miles. Not much on them. I was thinking of taking some photos . If anyone wants to see them.

Another strange thing was the old grease. Some was runny black like and 2 were like a dry looking cracking look. It was still well lubricated but just looked very strange. Over all 2 of them had lots of sparkling specs of metal.
Got Lead?
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Yes, please post the pics. Good it of been bad/wrong type of grease burned up?
kcnaz

Post by kcnaz »

zancat wrote:
kcnaz wrote:Anyone have a link to good info on the 934's?
934's are usually used in a high HP applications, not so much for more travel...

What info are you looking for exacly? I am not real familiar with them, but have a few sources that are...

Zancat

I have heard the 934 cv flanges have deeper cups allowing more room for the plunge of longer splined axles........?

The only application I have been able to find is mid and center board hubs, can you buy stubs for a t-1 bearing carrier that accepts 934's?

What is the high HP you are talking about?

Thanks any info will be helpful to all............. :D
Offroading vicariously
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

here are a few not so good photos.

here is the race preped star it is hard to see but the edge is compressed and they all look like this on this CV if you look behind the ball i am pointing at you can see the main cage has some scaring too.

Here is a new racr prep empi cv and the CM cage. it is a dark color unlike the non Cm cages.

I dont have any photos of the weird grease, I am using racing valoviline Syn with moly. This is all i could find here. I dont know what the shop used but he builds longtravel rails all the time.
Got Lead?
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

Also the inbord end of my axle was mashed a bit. The other side was not. Is there anything strange about this? I cant find what it hits.. It is still set at 25* max angle . I cant remember but one side was always a bit higher than the other. I hope it is not the same. if the one side with the mashing is the same side as the higher angles, I gues that would have somethig to do with it. I dont know when it would have max lift . it was sagging a bid and had about 45% drop.
Got Lead?