Motorbreath53's Baja... is still ALIVE

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
motorbreath53

Re: Motorbreath53's Baja... is still ALIVE

Post by motorbreath53 »

Yup... that first pic Joe. Thats the one. I had that picture in my head for a LONG time. Cool to see it in reality.
Baja5 was right...
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Impressive it is to say the least. With most of you hear I get to see a lot of the back end of it.

Post by 560 »

Question about the steering, did you drive it before you put the controller in it? if so how was it at speed?

Also have you driven it with out power going to the box, full manual?

Thanks, Mike.
Jackpot motorsports
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

Full manual with no power was like driving before I installed the EPS with just the rack.
The best part of the EPS is that it is adjustable by the turn of the knob. So you can have it set for a lot of assist when your in the dirt or sand and then turn it down for the street

Post by 560 »

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

So I got the motor and trans out of the car and trans is at McDowells getting rebuilt and a new reverse gear :shock: And while its apart upgrading 3-4 gears to a little taller ratio. Taking advantage of motor and trans out to rework rear engine cage work and some aluminum work to help close off the back of car. Progress pics to follow
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Get it done I will be back down in 3 weeks
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

CentralWAbaja wrote:Get it done I will be back down in 3 weeks
No worries I pick up the trans Tuesday and it will be back in the car by Wednesday night :mrgreen:
Should be done with everything else by end of weekend :shock:
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

:D
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

So yeah guys i've been slacking on you lately and haven't posted any updates. so sometime during the Night run weekend I managed to crush part of the rear cage no idea when but stuff happens right. so I cut off the rear cage for a make over, pulled the motor and trans and sent the trans out to Mc Dowell for a rebuild and Reverse gear hahaha finally getting it done lol while it was there had him change out 3-4 gear pack to increase top end speed so final drive went from 108mpr @ 6500 to 121 mph @ 6500 much better. So while I was there I moved the trans back 1 inch and shortend the engine cage another 4 inches. did some aluminum work to enclose rear of car and a little more around the engine compartment. Pics to follow soon
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I'm with you, been slacking here too. You did a bit of serious work. How did you move the tranny back?
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

When I built the frame horns originally I made the 1 1/2" longer than I needed just incase I went to bigger arms so it was just a matter of cutting off the old trans mount and sliding them back 1 inch which ended up opening a crap load of more work FML new shift linkage, new motor mount locations, shorten motor mounts, rework exhaust, rework fuel lines, rework skid plate, and im sure im forgetting something other than a lot of beer when I realized the can of worms I opened :)-
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

So Jason and me and the wife ran out to Ocotillo for a shake down run. Orange Bugs Rule :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Looking good, you get a GoPro yet?
baja5

Post by baja5 »

jt1967 wrote:So Jason and me and the wife ran out to Ocotillo for a shake down run. Orange Bugs Rule :shock:
Funny, Last time I went to the desert there weren't any orange bajas. :lol: