difference between cast and forged explained

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
hotrodsurplus

Post by hotrodsurplus »

Gus Leighton
I rekinnize the name. He ran Inyokern for a while. There's a casualty of our current state of governmental-imposed hysteria. The world's oldest, longest-operating drag strip closes because it uses an airfield and the FAA is afraid somebody is going to stage an attack from an itty-bitty airfield in the middle of nowhere--a place where everybody knows each other and what's going on. The local airfield up here (Arlington Dragway) doesn't even want the static reunions to take place on its property because of that. Sad man...sad.

B-class gas dragster. I get the stupid urge to build a gas car with a Chevy for a fun car every now and then. Then I sober up. :roll:

I think the thread has been lost. Nobody's gonna wade through this nostalgia.
:)
kendel

Post by kendel »

Motochris wrote:Stop it...stop it....can't...handle...the memories.....
Bill had the LA Dart, Hemi under Glass and the Knott's Berry Wagon all at the same time at one point. LOVED the Berry Wagon as a kid. Doug Roses Green Mamba too.
I got to drive this car when I was 17 a few times....

'58 Dragmaster B. It was my girlfriends dads car. Dennis Garrett. He and Gus Leighton raced it from new. It was a Hot Rod magazine Top Ten car in 1960.

Ok....somebody is gonna have to fix this thread now. :roll:

are those cast of forged wheels on thr back of that off topic dragster? :shock:
hotrodsurplus

Post by hotrodsurplus »

are those cast of forged wheels on thr back of that off topic dragster?
Hooray! You did it!

They're cast, but they're also magnesium which accounts for some really good fires after crashing. As far as I know, nobody ever forged a mag wheel for drag racing (things could have changed by now, though). The material was so light that the wheels ended up pretty dern light even when cast thick.

Strength wasn't really an issue; if you hit something hard enough to hurt a wheel, you had bigger problems than just a damaged wheel.

Still, though, they're tough. I have a set similar to those but 15x8.5 with no windows (those are likely 16x10). Like the cast Gasburners for Porsches, They're pretty damn light.
Motochris

Post by Motochris »

hotrodsurplus wrote:
Gus Leighton
I rekinnize the name. He ran Inyokern for a while. There's a casualty of our current state of governmental-imposed hysteria. The world's oldest, longest-operating drag strip closes because it uses an airfield and the FAA is afraid somebody is going to stage an attack from an itty-bitty airfield in the middle of nowhere--a place where everybody knows each other and what's going on. The local airfield up here (Arlington Dragway) doesn't even want the static reunions to take place on its property because of that. Sad man...sad.

B-class gas dragster. I get the stupid urge to build a gas car with a Chevy for a fun car every now and then. Then I sober up. :roll:

I think the thread has been lost. Nobody's gonna wade through this nostalgia.
:)
Yup...I live about 2 miles from the Inyokern airport. My dad was one of the original Dust Devils...the hosting club. Lot's of big names in that club from back when....

...I mean...YEA, those wheels are cast magnesium Halibrands. :lol: Very light...and cool.
kendel

Post by kendel »

Cast magnessium wheels are cool as long as they dont burn! I caught some grinded mag on fire once! :shock:
jrandy

Post by jrandy »

Well, this is a very educational hijacked thread.
I am going to keep my steel wheels, mostly since they are paid for.
I am going to spend the money I saved on shocks.
I know guys who have run cast cranks in their buggies beyond the life of the top ends, and I know guys who have destroyed forged cranks before the oil even warmed up. It is a matter of matching the materials to the task.
The backyard casting stuff is great & a friend who works with copper will be happy for the info.

I have a couple of old printing press motors that are starting to look like lathes to me. Ugly looking lathes though. I won't show them to anyone.
Actually, I have boxes of old press parts, hmmm.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Steel wheels are great in some applications and not so good in others. On sand they are a great weight penelty and the un-sprung weight is well noticed. I was very surprised when I changes over to AL rims after using steel ones for years. A totally different ride and stopping experience.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
fusername

Post by fusername »

magnesium has some ridiculous manufacturing problems doesnt it? It needs to be forged as a powder if I am not mistaken, not as a solid slab.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
hotrodsurplus

Post by hotrodsurplus »

sorry for the long delay. I spent the last few days in the Land of Port in that strange land where aging pump jockeys are obliged to fuel your car.
Well, this is a very educational hijacked thread.
I am going to keep my steel wheels, mostly since they are paid for.
I am going to spend the money I saved on shocks.
I'm stoked this is coming across as valuable information. I agree that it would be better to invest the money on quality shocks first. I'm sure Chris will agree. :wink:

Seriously, though...dampers are to a suspension what speakers are to an audio system. You'll get the most results from the least expense. When properly tuned to weight, spring rate, and suspension design, a damper will transform a car in all the right ways. Just remember to go monotube with a valve design that has more than just bleeds. But that's material for another hijacked posting.
Actually, I have boxes of old press parts, hmmm.
Oh god. This thread can't handle any more hijacks...unless they have the prospect of a Chandler & Price Pilot for a low price at the end of the rainbow. My wife's a graphic designer and she wants one real bad-like.
Steel wheels are great in some applications and not so good in others. On sand they are a great weight penelty and the un-sprung weight is well noticed.
Absolutely...but they have penalties just the same. On your lightweight short-wheelbase car in the sand and trails your lightweight spun wheels are perfect. That's the ideal application. However, a few people have mentioned how easy they are to mangle on a heavy car in the dirt--definitely not the ideal app.

Forged wheels aside (which are regretfully and ironically underrepresented in this corner of the sport) the only other option is cast, which is usually the same weight as steel.

And yes, the weight difference can be staggering. Once upon a time when I was cool, I had a big-engine car with Centerlines. On a lark, I installed some stock steelies. It felt like I went from a 2110 to a 1776. The car felt like a pig and even rode worse--and on the street at that!

magnesium has some ridiculous manufacturing problems doesnt it? It needs to be forged as a powder if I am not mistaken, not as a solid slab.
That's a good question, and even though I'm not qualified to do so I'll take a stab at it. From what I've heard mag forges pretty easily. Actually, this chart at the following site lists all sorts of pre-formed shapes for magnesium materials that can be forged.
http://www.steelforge.com/forgings/forgingchart.htm

The powdered- or sintered-metal manufacturing process is a world of its own, and it can be done with just about any material/alloy (cast iron, even). I don't know tremendously much about it, but I know it can make fairly strong parts and the process is pretty efficient. In the late '80s or early '90s Toyota got real big into making powdered-metal connecting rods, and from what I know they were damn strong for the cost.

Casting mag can be tricky as anyone who lived within a dozen miles or so of the TIMET plant in Hooterville (Henderson) Nevada whenever it had a fire. The company processed titanium, which requires magnesium if I remember correctly. My friend's grandfather was an engineer there, and he hated that he had to work around hot mag.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

LOL at Hooterville.... :lol:
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.