NQ JQKE

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
david58

NQ JQKE

Post by david58 »

I condensed my build thread these are pics taken between Nov 08, 2006 thru Mar 27, 2008. Man time flies.

This is my son Curtis on his first welding job. We watched the bug me video on heater channel replacement when he was here at Thanksgiving. I decided to weld the reinforcements to hold the body and keep it from flexing instead of screwing it in place. I am taking pictures and watching and him work.

Here is Curtis’s best weld so far.
Here is a couple shots of the spot weld removed.
ChadRat wrote:rusty heater channels, man I hate those. One of the reasons I went to a rail. Fixin rust is not fun.
Yeah but to quote my son Curtis “Oh I can do that!” He is really trying to get the right side out I told him it was going to be harder to fix because of the rust. I didn't realize how many little spot welds there really are. He almost has the right side out.

I wanted to do the bodywork with Curtis so he could see first hand what it takes to really do body panel replacement. Which, I have no clue of how to do. Tomorrow we’ll clean up the new heater channel fit the right door and do some dirt dobbin.

I bought heater channels from cip1 the ones for no heat look at the differences in the their shape.

I decided to modify the front firewall to fit the rest of the 3-inch lift kit by leaving 3-inches of the original firewall in the car. I thought it would be easier to cut thru the sheet metal with a hole saw to install the roll cage, than thru the Up Your Bug part that came in the kit.

Anyone ever do a brush guard on their Baja?

Last welding done now ready to sandblast.

I got the floor pan and tunnel back today from Miller protective coating. I got to say they did a fantastic job sandblasting and primering it. Tonight Doug is dropping by from Line-X to pick it up and put a coating on it.

Line-X looking good.

I got the running gear bolted in. Still have to switch the spring plates out. I bolted the beam in.
I forgot I loaned my engine hoist out so the body will sit outside. See that oil that's from that ford. The red one. :lol: His leaks worse than mine.

Brake parts and a few other odds and ends.

I'm just getin started. :D

WOAH looky here. :lol:

Nice welding Hedrock. Thank you Soooo Much. :wink:

This is the bare beam ready for primer.

Here is the primed beam.

Here is is painted Chebie urnge. :lol:

Last edited by david58 on Wed May 04, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
nukeworker

Post by nukeworker »

REALLY cool 8) Love to see build pics. Always learn something new. Thanks.
Dodahsand

Post by Dodahsand »

You need to stop and take a good close look at what you are doing... Your about to run out of Bud!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Man, I am going to report you to the UPLFO for making your son work on the bug in just his underwear. :shock:

Baja is coming together, lot of progress. What did you figure out on the arms?
Hedrock

Post by Hedrock »

Dodahsand wrote:You need to stop and take a good close look at what you are doing... Your about to run out of Bud!

I think he brews it in the backyard :wink:

Looks real good David... The brush guard is way cool looking 8)
Collecting parts again... No I'm not going to say why!
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

i drink keystone light beer, i'm lookin for quantity and not quality.... :lol:
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
david58

Post by david58 »

Leatherneck wrote: Man, I am going to report you to the UPLFO for making your son work on the bug in just his underwear. :shock:
That is one Hard Headed Youngun. :shock:
Leatherneck wrote:Baja is coming together, lot of progress. What did you figure out on the arms?
Well for now I am going to make fake shocks just to hold it up at the ride height I want. That way I can get another set of coil overs, and still be able to move the car around.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Looking good. Your rosette weld sure look better than mine did and you were using the thinner pan halves.

I am curious, in the front, by the frame head, you took out the two formed humps on the underside of the pan. Why?
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
david58

Post by david58 »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Looking good. Your rosette weld sure look better than mine did and you were using the thinner pan halves.

I am curious, in the front, by the frame head, you took out the two formed humps on the underside of the pan. Why?
I had a guy guy do the welding.
The only reason they were taken out was because the PO had installed a reciever and welded it on so I used the torch to remove it.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Thank you. I also like the brush guard. Did you make it or is it for something else that you modified to fit? It really does look like it belongs there.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
david58

Post by david58 »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Thank you. I also like the brush guard. Did you make it or is it for something else that you modified to fit? It really does look like it belongs there.
I think it came off a 2000 Toyota.
david58

Post by david58 »

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

What is left on the to do list?
namelesswonder

Post by namelesswonder »

That bright red/orange is pretty amazing.
Franz the Thunder Pumpkin!
Permanent member of the "Baja may not be running" club
david58

Post by david58 »

Leatherneck wrote:What is left on the to do list?
Lots.