Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The 'Hero HD version supposedly has solved (most of) the audio problem. The video I posted a year or two ago, with my before HD camera, did the same thing (sound) as yours did except worse. In mine you can hear the engine RPMs go up and down as well as the urethane bushings in the suspension squeak. I do not have radio suppression wires or plugs as I did't think I needed them and up to the camera “period” of time I didn't. The "loud" setting in the older GoPros' the company does warn against using it as is very sensitive and yes, you do need to go back to the other setting.

I haven't used my camera for well over a year now as I haven't ridden that much where I thought I needed to bring it along, that and everyone else has HD versions and the old versions don't match well with the HD's from what I can tell.

I've read some about the HD2 version and have been thinking about it and using the other camera for back shooting (point of view) so I could edit them together but then there is the data volume problem between the two. Oh well, such is life!

Lee
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Well I haven't taken the baja out since New Years... And I have barely even started it up. Because of this, I found out my carb was all gummed and and in need of a rebuild...

Last time I was trying to start it, I noticed there was a some play in the driver's side stub axle as well. So I figured new bearings and spacers were in order. When I took out the old ones, I found out the outer spacer had actually CRACKED IN HALF! Holy crap. I didn't see that coming.

Well all went well with the install and everything is back together. I am waiting for a rebuild kit which I will get this weekend, and then my car will finally be drivable again... Just need a trip to take it on...

No pics except one of my "helpers" who snoozed most of the day in the garage to stay out of the rain....

Lee, I recently received a new GoPro HD2 through a contest on facebook. Just from the little I've played around with it, I can tell it is a much better camera than my old ones. And I also found out I had my sound settings wrong for that bad video. They were set to HI when it should have been set to LO. The new ones have a much better options menu. And if you get the LCD Backpack has an even better text menu.
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"... I also found out I had my sound settings wrong for that bad video. They were set to HI when it should have been set to LO. The new ones have a much better options menu."

I did the same thing with my older model GoPro and I got every squeek and electrical noises. When the HD cameras were offered they did a good job of fixing the problems. Still thinking about a new GoPro.

Lee
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

rickosuave1987 wrote:
Well all went well with the install and everything is back together. I am waiting for a rebuild kit which I will get this weekend, and then my car will finally be drivable again... Just need a trip to take it on...

We are considering another jawbone area trip easter weekend :wink:
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

takotruckin wrote:
rickosuave1987 wrote: We are considering another jawbone area trip easter weekend :wink:
As much as I enjoy Jawbone, my easter weekend is booked solid with family affairs. I think there's a trip planned for the first weekend in May with the socal baja's guys. Maybe I'll make that...
Baja
HookIt

SuaveRacing FaceBook
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

What is the latest?

Watching the rear suspension action video it is easy to imagine what the poor little inner IRS pivot bolt is going through on the long travel coil conversions.
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Steve Arndt wrote:What is the latest?

Watching the rear suspension action video it is easy to imagine what the poor little inner IRS pivot bolt is going through on the long travel coil conversions.
My baja is currently on vacation :lol: I had the motor tuned up by the guy who built our race engine. It ran great for the 5 minutes I got to drive it since then.

But for now, it is at GKElectric's house in San Diego while we get the race car finished up. There isn't enough room in my garage for both cars and work room.

I am hoping to get the baja back in action soon.
Baja
HookIt

SuaveRacing FaceBook
twowheeletex

Post by twowheeletex »

It took me a week to get through this whole thing. it's been really impressive from those first booger welds to pro fabricator. as for your pivot bolt problem I have an idea. I'll post up some pictures to give an idea of what I mean.

you can weld a tab to the pivot bolt and pit a bolt through the end of that tab. no more spinning loose.

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/863752.jpg

or use a locking pin.

http://meyersmanx.info/ManxInfoGallery/ ... 010703.JPG
I guess when your just hacking, not everything goes to plan.

My Build Thread
TimS

Post by TimS »

I just put an inch of weld on the pivot bolt. Haven't had to remove them since, but a quick zip with the grinder would do it.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Thanks for the advice Tex. I ended up with the hex-head pivot bolts drilled for safety wire, and haven't had any more problems.
Baja
HookIt

SuaveRacing FaceBook
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Note: Those lynch pins work great for that purpose....BUT!!! I recently bought a couple of those lynch pins for the hood pins for my fiberglass hood on my Toyota pre runner. They turned out to be diecast zinc, although they looked just like my old ones that had gotten rusty. I got some real steel ones at the local Ace. But they may have been old stock from when it was a True Value.

Make SURE you get steel.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Dusty,, what is the bolt for?
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

The vertical 6mm bolt holds the brake line fittings where it transitions from hard to soft line.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Steve wins the kewpy doll for his lady tonite.

PS: those zinc lynch pins both broke within a week...on the hood. Steel ones last for years.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Another outstanding idea.