Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
CentralWAbaja

Re: Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

When was the last time this car was on the first page....never mind...when was the last time this car hit the dirt?
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

just read through the thread tried to quote a post when you added some cross bracing in the front end. It told me the image size could not be determined so im assuming something with the site is messed up as i saw others were having the same problem.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... &start=975 im referencing this
I see you have an x between the lower tubes and then diagonals form the lowers to the uppers. Is that all you have up front ever have any strength issues?
i havent seen any door bars on your car i might be mistaken though but the full tube front end to the unsupported "a" hoop ever have any problems with this strength wise? Just trying to see what others are doing as im about to cage mine.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

CentralWAbaja wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:08 am When was the last time this car was on the first page....never mind...when was the last time this car hit the dirt?
It is in the dirt right now! (Sitting in the yard...)

bikesndbugs wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:25 am just read through the thread tried to quote a post when you added some cross bracing in the front end. It told me the image size could not be determined so im assuming something with the site is messed up as i saw others were having the same problem.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... &start=975 im referencing this
I see you have an x between the lower tubes and then diagonals form the lowers to the uppers. Is that all you have up front ever have any strength issues?
i havent seen any door bars on your car i might be mistaken though but the full tube front end to the unsupported "a" hoop ever have any problems with this strength wise? Just trying to see what others are doing as im about to cage mine.
The front end is braced diagonally side to side and triangulated front to back. I haven't had any issues with strength since changing out the front beam.

I do not have door bars, but the cage along the floor extends from the torsion housing, all the way to the front beam.
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

rickosuave1987 wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 1:31 pm

It is in the dirt right now! (Sitting in the yard...)

The front end is braced diagonally side to side and triangulated front to back. I haven't had any issues with strength since changing out the front beam.

I do not have door bars, but the cage along the floor extends from the torsion housing, all the way to the front beam.
Ok i planned on doing something very similar but with door bars this makes me more confident about it in it even if i dont put door bars.

and i caught that small print let me enlarge it for ya
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

another question is this a mild steel or chromoly cage?
Travis
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

bikesndbugs wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 10:17 pm another question is this a mild steel or chromoly cage?
My car is all mild steel. There is some DOM in the front end, but only because that is what I had when I added some bracing.
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

rickosuave1987 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 9:22 am
bikesndbugs wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 10:17 pm another question is this a mild steel or chromoly cage?
My car is all mild steel. There is some DOM in the front end, but only because that is what I had when I added some bracing.
ok thanks im doing full dom and was hoping yours was too just as a cage and tube front end reference to make sure mine will turn out structurally sound
Travis