Making progress...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
dustymojave

Re: Making progress...

Post by dustymojave »

If the officials find the Subie motor, they will seek to hold it to the smog standards for the Subaru. Maybe you should put in a VW engine?

But your Baja will not be living in Washoe County or Clark County.

You still need a cable operated parking brake.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

I always appreciate the ideas, guys. I do not have a VW motor, so that route would be a bit expensive. My rear calipers are non-Ebrake type, but those could potentially be changed out. The shift shaft has been run above the tunnel, so all of the stock handle bracketry got cut off. The new place is in Douglas County officially, so a call to the local DMV is definitely in order before I move up there. Hopefully the Nevada DMV employees are more cognizant/intelligent than the ones here in CA! LOL!! Here in CA you can get three different answers to the same question just by asking a different employee. Went through hell just trying to retain legal ownership (pink slip) for a car being turned into a race car that would never touch public streets again. The supervisor at DMV told me if it was towed on an open flat bed, it would need to be a green sticker vehicle - regardless that it would never be used on OHV land. I could not wrap my head around paying annual green sticker fees in that scenario. What does it matter if the vehicle can be seen when towed??!! Got to love Government employees...
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I couldn't remember the type of connection used with a hand brake but it is a triangular form of a clevis; usually more shallow in depth though (think of a solid coat hanger w/o the hook). With your shift rod on top of the tunnel then it might be possible to use the stock cables tied to a clevis (of your own design) then to a cable from some kind of ratcheted handle forward in the tunnel. Do a search on e-brake handle styles and you will find a plethora of those. Look under a lot of cars for ideas. The big drawback is that it is a weight and will want to bounce up and down but the use to tubes to run the cables through might eliminate that. It might pay you to temporally remove the top of the tunnel in making the design then welding it back in place stronger than ever before. I don't think Dr. Porsche and his design crew expected his little car to be used the way we are using it. :wink:

One of the reasons I did not have an e-brake is that the tunnel was cracking to the driver's side at the e-brake hole. It was welded so many times that we ended up having to put a doubler over the entire area.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

I made a pedestal mount for my CNC turning brakes because my shift rod is also above the tunnel...

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Herb, that is more or less what I did for the turning brakes on my blue buggy also but he said that his seats are so close together ("My other issue is I do not have any emergency brake on the car. The seats touch in the middle, so it had to be removed.") that putting the handle up higher won't work which is why I mentioned the forward mounted, under dash hand brake. It could be done but it would take a lot of work.

Lee
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:37 pm
The one I seem to remember was an "over the center" design where you pulled on the handle to where the brake was tight then the handle would go a bit past and pass over the center of the arc to act as a full lock. Does that make sense?
That sounds like the e-brake on our fork lift here at work.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

In Elko it is just a VIN inspection and not a full inspection. They have never inspected my car and I do not have a parking brake either. You are very close to where you may need a smog test, I am not sure but you are close. If worse came to worse you could get the off road sticker and stay on dirt.

Ed
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

BAJA-IT wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:57 am
Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:37 pm
The one I seem to remember was an "over the center" design where you pulled on the handle to where the brake was tight then the handle would go a bit past and pass over the center of the arc to act as a full lock. Does that make sense?
That sounds like the e-brake on our fork lift here at work.
I forget where I ran into that; I think it was a foreign car but not sure.

It was a long time ago but I do remember playing with it and I do remember the feel of it. Kind of weird isn't it.

Lee
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

no1clyde wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:07 pm In Elko it is just a VIN inspection and not a full inspection. They have never inspected my car and I do not have a parking brake either. You are very close to where you may need a smog test, I am not sure but you are close. If worse came to worse you could get the off road sticker and stay on dirt.

Ed
To get to my VIN the seats, belts, and fuel cell need to be pulled. It lies underneath a 22 gal. cell.

Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

Hey Skid sorry you are leaving the Peoples Republik. Watching this thread as I need a parking brake idea for SPCN here in Kali.
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Skidmark wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:15 pm
To get to my VIN the seats, belts, and fuel cell need to be pulled. It lies underneath a 22 gal. cell.
[/quote]

Take those things out and take it to the DMV on a trailer for the VIN inspection.

Ed
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

My nephew in Arizona sent me the BEST RETIREMENT T-SHIRT EVAH!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

I like it!
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

It seems to me that we should be congratulating you today Skid.

IIRC, today was the last day of the past part of your life.

Welcome to the next phase.

Damned nice shirt BTW.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Thanks, Dusty! It doesn't seem like anything special as of yet, still too much going on with the sale of our home and preparing to move. I do have more information on the vehicle registration, though. After talking to the Nevada DMV, The county where our new house is located is smog exempt! By about a mile... so I do not need to smog ANY of our vehicles. As for the vehicle inspections are concerned, they only verify the VIN of the vehicle and do not perform a complete vehicle inspection. I was told I can tow the baja there with the seats removed and the fuel cell moved to expose the VIN for the verification. All great news! Looks like the baja will have Nevada plates the way it sits now. YAY!!!