***Leathernecks rail ***

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Re: ***Leathernecks rail ***

Post by Leatherneck »

luddite wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:25 pm Sooo... Thought I had the wrong thread. Rail color isn't what I remember. is this still the bomb pop? Or have you started over somewhere in the last few years?
Yup you got it, this was the ole bomb pop with a few improvements. Welcome back, don't be such a stranger.

otis wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:49 pm Woo hoo!! I remembered what email address I used. I got in.
Otis, long time no see. Glad you figured out your email and pw to get back on.. So what have you been up to?
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

So David, how is your fuel economy with the turbo reinstalled?
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

takotruckin wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:52 am So David, how is your fuel economy with the turbo reinstalled?
Fuel economy was good, probably better then without, figures since I wasn't foot deep in the throttle most of the time. I don't build a lot of boost except in 3rd, but the power is there. When we reached Peggy's Diner I still had a 1/4 tank, did good on the hwy even with the stinking head wind going home. Wish you could of made it. Run was faster except for me :oops: at times. Good grief I was plagued with WTF is that now.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Well I went and did it this time. Mesquite 1 Leatherneck 0. I do have 3 wheel steering now.
IMG_2483.JPG
IMG_2482.JPG
IMG_2485.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Leather, what did you do, front and rear and on one side only... holey crud!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Look on the bright side:
You could have ridden a dirt bike into that mesquite bush.
(Pincushion syndrome)

Those spikes have been known to go through plastic body armor.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Poor mesquite.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

Ouch! that had to hurt!
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
TimS

Post by TimS »

How did you get the front and the rear? Ouch.

Looks like some good parts left for your Baja build. :)
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Is the frame tweaked? I know a guy that had to cut his in half....
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

TimS wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:10 pm How did you get the front and the rear? Ouch.

Looks like some good parts left for your Baja build. :)
I don't know, I was hauling the mail, trying to hit the high spots but was banging it hard, I think I landed but I remember looking at trail then I was pointed at the tree, there wasn't a lot of tire footprint but what there was I headed right for the tree right after a whoop section. I don't know it happened to fast for me to grasp and no stinking GoPro on either. :evil:

cbeck wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:41 pm Is the frame tweaked? I know a guy that had to cut his in half....
From what I saw before going in the trailer the front beam is toast, the nose is bent pointing up behind the shock mount on the right side. Other damage has to be cause the beam is pushed in to the Saginaw box steering arm and it is locked up with no tie rods hooked up to it. Rear trailing arm is bent forward and bearing housing is showing a bearing race poking through the metal but I can crab down the road still as long as somebody steers for me. :roll:
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Remember, trees do have legs, they are called roots and are the roots of all evil :twisted:

I had one jump out at me years ago and take out the right tailing arm and bent the rim.
1966bajabug

Post by 1966bajabug »

I know exactly how you feel leather. Trees aren't my friends either
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

What now Leather? Re-build or restart and make those improvements you have been thinking about all this time?
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:09 pm What now Leather? Re-build or restart and make those improvements you have been thinking about all this time?
Time to start another project, something with doors, windows and a couple more cylinders.