68 baja build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.

Moderators: Leatherneck, rickosuave1987

bikesndbugs

Re: 68 baja build

Post by bikesndbugs » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:02 am

yeah the frame head itself is stock but i have upper and lower tubes from the beam to the cage. not worried about the front end at all. the front end of it is pretty good right now ride good soaks everything up. only thing is steering. the rear on the other hand is too soft
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site

bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Trans strap is now correctly Installed can hear alot more tranny noise now but can also clutch drop first and it goes.

Did some mathematical figuring last night and my car is geared to do about 130.
That's way to much and don t really wanna pay for a built tranny with a lower 4th and most of those I see are too low so I'm lewaning towards a 4.86 ring and pinion putting hd irs side plates on my car because it's an 8 bolt swing axle. And running the same trans I've always had.
This seems to be the best bang for my buck at the moment with the 4.86 my top of 3rd would be 75 or 80 and I'm ok with at as my 3 off-road gears and 4th as a highway only overdrive.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Travis

bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:03 pm

Bus box will solve your gearing issues

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:36 pm

bikesndbugs wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:38 pm
so what im thinking is one or 2 inch longer arms some mid level cvs like type 4s or buses.
i know you can get around 10 out of bug cvs so type 4 or bus should do a bit more.
I get 12" of travel with 2" longer arms and Type-4 CVs, 002 bus trans.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing

dustymojave

Post by dustymojave » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:50 pm

bikesndbugs wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:45 pm
Trans strap is now correctly Installed can hear alot more tranny noise now but can also clutch drop first and it goes.
Good on the trans strap. You SHOULD hear the gearbox. It's a Baja, not a Rolls Royce.

How about the bell housing end of the gear box? Is it strapped? And is it on an all steel mount?
bikesndbugs wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:45 pm
Did some mathematical figuring last night and my car is geared to do about 130.
And if you believe that...I have some really cool river front property here near El Mirage Dry Lake.......It'll take somewhere around 450hp to get a Bug to that speed. And my '65 Baja Bug would lift the front tires off the pavement at 85. So what differential ratio do you have? The stock '68 swingaxle came with 4.12 R&P.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills!, but then...So does OLD AGE!!
A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech Inspection
MDR / MORE / Glen Helen BajaCup Challenge
AKA: MojaveRacer208
'58 Baja with 815K Miles and counting

bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:27 pm

anybody know the gear stack for a bus box and that requires more fab.
baja-it how do you like the plus 2 arms vs lets say plus 1?

i know my car wont do over 90 downhill ive tried. thats my i find my ratios useless. yes its stock 4.12 ring and pinion.

the bell housing isnt strapped thats up next on my list.

my thought was to add irs side plates and a 4.86 ring and pinion to my current tranny maybe a supperdiff.
Travis

BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:03 pm

bikesndbugs wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:27 pm

The plus 2 arms seam to be working good. I like they way the tires fit with in the fenders ,and with the 2" body lift I still have the fenders mounted in the stock location and don't get any rubbing with the 33" tires on the back. If I haven't mentioned it I have converted it to coil-over the in rear, '68 002 stock bus box with a 10* urethane trans mount kit that keep the shift shaft in the stock bug location.

You can check out my build thread, not sure if the pix are still there though. http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=125519
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing

bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:04 pm

BAJA-IT wrote:
bikesndbugs wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:27 pm

The plus 2 arms seam to be working good. I like they way the tires fit with in the fenders ,and with the 2" body lift I still have the fenders mounted in the stock location and don't get any rubbing with the 33" tires on the back. If I haven't mentioned it I have converted it to coil-over the in rear, '68 002 stock bus box with a 10* urethane trans mount kit that keep the shift shaft in the stock bug location.

You can check out my build thread, not sure if the pix are still there though. http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=125519
I've looked through it before always liked your paint job and the car as a whole. My plan is to also go coilover so I'll probobly end up doing a similar rear suspension. Bus box is undecided so far that depends on money.
These may or not be in your thread and I'll look through later but what springs are you running?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Travis