mcmaster.com soundproofing

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
warrenbaity

mcmaster.com soundproofing

Post by warrenbaity »

Ive been searching all over mcmaster.com for the sound proofing that ive read so much about but i cant find the right one. Its the high temp mastic stuff. Its like dynomat but cheaper. Can anyone give me a part number or a link to the actual product on their page or something. Any help is appriciated. Thanks.

Also how hard is this stuff to take off once you put it on. Just out of curiosity.
Plastermaster

Post by Plastermaster »

I don't have the part # but I have used it and was not happy with the adhesion. I favor Polyken flashing. It is like the Home depot stuff but alot stickier.

Ron
SUbuggy

Post by SUbuggy »

the key to making the stuff stick from the various brands is having a really good heat gun......you need to heat it too hot to touch and it will adhere well.
warrenbaity

Post by warrenbaity »

where can i pick that stuff up ron?
warrenbaity

Post by warrenbaity »

can anyone else give me some links to some good soundproofing? either the mcmaster stuff or the stuff that Ron was talking about? thanks again
Plastermaster

Post by Plastermaster »

warrenbaity wrote:where can i pick that stuff up ron?
Lumber Yards. It is the kind with the Blue film backing. It might be a regional product.

Ron
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

from my trusty (rusty?) backup of info
-------
You might be interested to know that you can get the industrial version of dynamat
from a company called McMaster-Carr in Chicago (www.mcmastercarr.com).
They call it Hi-temp mastic. It doesn't have the logo but it is the exact same thing.
Instead of paying $50 for 12 square feet though, you'll only pay $12.79!
The part number is 9709T18.

As you see RAMVA is also a good source.
warrenbaity

Post by warrenbaity »

Awsome! Thanks for the info. I found it!
dmbfanintn

Post by dmbfanintn »

Just wanted to let everyone know that I purchased two rolls of this stuff yesterday.

I got the 9709T19 because the 9709T18 was discontinued. That is what they recommended as a replacement part.

I will post my results when I get it in. It will probably be a month or so before I get to it, but I will report on it when I do!

chris....
MattKab

Post by MattKab »

How did this turn out?
1979 Karmann Beetle with 1.8ti T4 (still pastel yellow)
1970 411 Variant (black) daily driver
1964 lil' window Beetle (soon to be black)
warrenbaity

Post by warrenbaity »

If I were to do it again I would use something else. It works ok on level flat surfaces but its too thick for use on the countours of the floor pan and too heavy to stay on vertical surfaces like inside the doors. thats my 2cents on it
AirJose

Post by AirJose »

Sorry to butt in. I am very happy with second skin products. I used fat mat before but the damplifier and the liquid sound deadener(can't think of the name but comes in 1gal pail) is awsome! It is water soluble, when applied is blue but when it dries changes colors to a medium gray and is very flexible. Then the damplifier sticks good to it and it can take a lot of heat... :lol:
2088 bob

Post by 2088 bob »

try this stuff B-Quiet 1 877 727 8438 did my entire 2003 ford f150 supercrew with this stuff excellent to work with way cheaper than dynamat , you can find this guy on ebay he was super to deal with and no thats bullshit that you need a heat gun to apply sound dampening material once this stuff is on its never coming off and it made the inside of my tinny 2003 f150 quiet like a lexus just make sure all your surfaces are squeaky clean
Alp

Post by Alp »

the trick probably is the squiky clean surfaces.
second skin rep

Post by second skin rep »

here is a pretty good read on sound deadening

www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

ANT