Subwoofer enclosures

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
Dew

Subwoofer enclosures

Post by Dew »

I recectly aquired a pair of Rockford Fosgate 12" Punch stage 2 subwoofers. I thought they would be real good in the back window of the bug. The speakers came with instructions for an enclosure but they only give dimensions for an enclosure with one speaker. My question is should I just double the cubic ft of the enclosure for two speakers? Or is two speakers in one enclosure a bad thing?

Post by Guest »

Doubling it is fine. 2 subs in one enclosure works good. Use MDF for the box.
doorpz

Post by doorpz »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/160092.jpg
thats my box. its a three chamber box, but you could easily just make a two chamber box for two subs. either way should work out fine.
67 newbie

Post by 67 newbie »

Doubling is fine as long as you run a mono signal to your sub amp. If you want to have a stereo signal to your subs.. then definitely put a divider in creating 2 chambers.

Most people (myself included) prefer a mono signal to the subs, but its to each his own. I have ran many subs over the years and even though I run a mono signal, I still prefer each sub to be in its own enclosure. I listen to all kinds of music and this seems to provide the best range. Now I just run 1 sub, getting too old to spend all that money.
Dew

Post by Dew »

Should I go with sealed or ported?
Bear1l

Post by Bear1l »

If the box is the right size, seal it. If it's too small insulate it, and only if it is too big would you port it.
ToRy 70

Post by ToRy 70 »

If you have the manual for the subs, take a look at the volume sizes for both sealed and ported enclosures. Ported enclosures require way more room than sealed, I'm willing to bet more than is available without removing the rear seat.
The difference is that sealed subs are more accurate delivering the sound (good for bass solos and tight double kicks, i.e rock), while ported deliver much louder thumpage (those Escalades that won't stop playing hip-hop songs that have the same annoying beat over and over and...)

So it depends on how much room you have and what you want from your subs.
67 newbie

Post by 67 newbie »

What everyone stated above is accurate, ported enclosures are much harder to tune, to get a decent range out of them. Most DIY guys go sealed, because ported boxes can be a PIA and they take up more room. Goto Rockford's website they should offer box diagrams for your subs..if they dont have any suggestions a good rule of thumb is between 1.5 and 2 cubic ft for a 12" sub.

Also I would recommend using some polyfill in it as well. It helps to cancel out the sound inside the box which helps the subs output... Good Luck..
Dew

Post by Dew »

Thanx for the help guys. Now I just need to figure out which amp I should use and what other speakers would go good with my subs.
The Noof

Post by The Noof »

Lotsa considerations when you try to decide an enclosure format. Most accurate bass probably comes from sealed enclosures, but the spl is much lower that a ported box with the same driver/amp combo.Ported enclosure yields great spl, but distortions under the ports tuned frequency are an issue. I still prefer ported ina car, but they MUST be done properly, paying a great deal of attention to the math involved. I have a single down firig 15" Audiobahn sub driven by an Alpine MRD 1000 amp, and it sounds great. Won 3rd in class 2 years ago, pulling 133db, and winning overall in clarity. Ported can be done.