Vent Windows

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
James Buchan

Vent Windows

Post by James Buchan »

Before I rip my vent windows apart am I able to pull just the vent window out of the door without damaging my other seals or do I need to redo my seals in a specific order?
mpdykeman

Post by mpdykeman »

You should be able to remove the wings without damaging the scrapers. However, on the top channel, you will have to pull it out some (about a foot) to both get at the bolt that fastens the top of the wing to the door and to move it out of the way to assist in removing the wing. You will also have to remove the main window from the door.

Once you have removed the main window, pulled this channel out of the way, and removed the wing fastening bolts, you will need to pull at the top of the wing--back towards the rear of the door until the wing is not quite at a 45 degree angle then pull it out in line with that angle. It takes a little persuasion here and some careful manuvering to get the out past the door regulator and the metal "bridge" in the door that sits betwen the wing and the main window (the section that the bottom of the wing bolted to... be very carful that you dont damage the scrapers, as the wing channel is a pretty tight fit between the inner and outer scrapers.

Note: if you care about your paint job, cover all door paint around the wing with a couple of layers of tape (especially when reinstalling).

After reinstalling the wing (the exact opposit of the way you pulle it out), push the channel back into place, install the main window, roll it all the way up to align it, and then lock the window in place where it fastens to the regulator.

If you are going to replace the scrapers too, I found the following order to be best (on my '69):

Outer scraper
Inner scraper
wing (with front main channel pre-installed into it.
main window channel
Main window

Good luck.
James Buchan

Post by James Buchan »

That is exactly the info I needed - thank you for the post!

Basically I am rebuilding my doors after having the car painted and my vent window rubber was missed when I ordered ( I forgot ) - I'm on a tight time line to get it back on the raod for a race and wanted to do the vent rubber at a later date.