Preparing to paint car!

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
74EMPI

Preparing to paint car!

Post by 74EMPI »

Hi all,
I am getting ready to paint my 61 ragtop and have a couple of questions. I am going to be painting the inside, door jambs, engine compartment, under hood, dash, etc myself and will leave the exterior panels for a professional. My question is regarding the window openings. How much paint should I apply to the openings to allow me to install windows without interf
ering with the painting of the exterior panels. Will the paint that overlaps cause a problem later for the paint shop? Will there be an edge that they will need to sand? The whole idea here is restoration on a budget and I want to have the car running and interior, etc, installed before painting the outside of the car.

Any advice on pulling this off without making a mess of it?

Mike
All_talk

Preparing to paint car!

Post by All_talk »

Hi 74EMPI

Of course the best way to paint a car is stripped, but I understand what you?re trying to do. Go ahead and paint around the outside of the window opening (be sure to prep it) and let the paint naturally feather out on the body. Just know that this area will have to be sanded before exterior painting. One thing to watch out for is paint system compatibility, make sure the interior paint is going to work with the exterior.

Gary
74EMPI

Preparing to paint car!

Post by 74EMPI »

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the reply. I am planning on using the same paint on the exterior so compatibility should not be a problem. I am going to use PPG Omni Acrylic enamel. As I said this is a budget restoration and at $60 a gallon that fits the budget. Has anyone out there used the PPG OMNI product before? According to PPG it is a premium quality paint meant to be used for a full respray and not meant for blending repairs.

Mike
JawKnee

Preparing to paint car!

Post by JawKnee »

I just got done painting my fastback. I used all PPG products (dbc base and dbu 2002 clear, so $60 a gallon sounds AWESOME to me!!)

I am sort of unclear what you mean about the windows.. I assume you are taking out the windows and will be spraying the insides yourself? And you are worried about how much you should overlap onto the outside of the car? If this is the case, I would mask off the OUTSIDE of the lip where the rubber holds on to, and tape paper to cover over the entire window from the OUTSIDE. then spray inside.. when the shop sprays, they will do basically the same thing but on the INSIDE and spray the outside. If you are leaving the windows in, I have seen people who get a razor blade and cut away about 1/4 of an inch of the window rubber all around, then paint. Then when they go to replace the window, the new rubber will cover the gap.. that might be a better way to go for "budget" minded resto.

PPG OMNI acrylic enamel will have to be sanded before it is re-sprayed if it has flashed for longer than 3 days (I think thats about right) Ask your shop or read the tech specs.

Are you using the PPG OMNI Epoxy primer too?

Good luck! Sounds like fun! Like I said before the car I just painted was my first one, so I learned a whole lot about this stuff!! It is a lot of work, but a lot of fun and very rewarding. In hindsight it wasn't that "hard" to do as as it is finding all my old parts to put back on!!

Johnny
JawKnee

Preparing to paint car!

Post by JawKnee »

I just re-read your post and I think I have a better idea of what you meant. You plan to spray your window openings (inside and out), then install the windows and take it to a shop to spray the remainder on the outside?

I wouldn't do it that way if I were you.. budget or not. Is this your daily driver? if so, do like I said by cutting back the window rubber... if not, keep the windows out and spray the inside and outside seperately.

If you wer using a base-coat clear-coat you MIGHT be able to do it that way (I wouldnt even bother though) any yes there would be a line and yes there would be sanding... I don't think you want to sand/buff the acrylic enamel though... I have heard that you would have to re-buff it every couple of months because it won't hold its finish. Buffing your paint is pretty scary, it is easy to burn through and make it look worse!! So the last coat you spray of acrylic enamel should be the way you want it to look when its "dry" If you plan to work it out, go with bc/bc.

good luck!
Johnny
74EMPI

Preparing to paint car!

Post by 74EMPI »

Thanks Johnny,
You got it on your second post. I have stripped the entire shell and it is all primed currently with an etch primer. I am considering the epoxy primer. I may tape off the window opening to avoid the paint flash. I was thinking that I could keep the spray to a minimum and close to the lip that holds the window in and that way the window rubber would cover where the earlier and later paint jobs meet up. I have only used acrylic enamel before and that is why I am going with it. I have never sprayed a whole car only bits and pieces which is why I wanted to leave the exterior to a pro.

Mike
74EMPI

Preparing to paint car!

Post by 74EMPI »

With the epoxy primer how long between applying it and the paint?

The reason I ask is that my Dad is coming into town to help with the painting and he is only here for a few days.

Mike
KennyB

Preparing to paint car!

Post by KennyB »

hey mike:
I just read your post and you probably have already painted your car by now but I have just finished a 72 beetle with all omni products. It is my first attempt at a ground up resto and it turned out real good. I used the bc/cc with the omni primer and also epoxy primer.
The only thing I would do differently is put on more product. I got some thin spots in my epoxy and also in my clear. Just be sure to put on plenty of product so you will have enough to sand smooth and also to buff out if you use clear.
Good luck
Kenny
74EMPI

Preparing to paint car!

Post by 74EMPI »

I have the car primed and have painted the inside so far. The paint suggests a 4:1 mix ratio but it seemed really thin and did not cover well. I tried experimenting and 2:1 worked better. Anybody else have an experience like this?

Mike
Tanbug

Preparing to paint car!

Post by Tanbug »

PPG should have given or you should have asked for a spec sheet for the Omni product, giving mix ratio, air pressure, fliud tip.
What psi did you use when spraying?

------------------
68 Bug
74 'vert
Wrong years,wrong type,tuff sh#t
vwman099

Preparing to paint car!

Post by vwman099 »

I was just curious what is the talk about PPG OMNI. What is the PPG OMNI? I need to get into the paint shop to learn about prep work on my half bare type 1 body.

I want to go for an epoxy primer preferebly from the local ppg supplier... What prices should I expect for midrange paint supplies?

Thanks,
Nathan
JawKnee

Preparing to paint car!

Post by JawKnee »

PPG OMNI is a brand, or a line of paint rather. I would consider it a midrange to cheaper paint system. OMNI comes in single stage and bc/cc. For the price you can't go wrong!!

PPG OMNI Epoxy primer will run about $60 a gallon and maybe another 30 for the catalyst. Sounds like a lot, but compared to the DPLF (PPG brand also) epoxy primer (what I just got done using) It was about $180 a gallon!! One benefit was the fact that the DPLF comes in a few different colors.

I would spray my basecoat within 12 hours of applying my last coat of epoxy (thinned out like a sealer) if possible. Depending on the speed of catalyst you use will determin how long you wait to top-coat it. Check your spec sheet. It wont hurt to spray your epoxy, then spray it again the day before you go to top-coat.

Don't be afraid to paint the car yourself!! Go for it! IF you can spray your epoxy nice and flat, you will be able to spray your paint flat too!! Get an old hood to practice while you adjust your gun for the paint.

Johnny
74EMPI

Preparing to paint car!

Post by 74EMPI »

The prices were less than expected.

Gallon on PPG Omni Acrylic enamel $44
Gallon of reducer $17

Gallon of Primer/sealer $33
Gallon of reducer $17

Paint and primer and reducer and assorted paper and other stuff came to $160

Primer went on poorly mostly due to a crappy gun and inexperience. It sanded down fine and the paint(what I have done so far) has gone on quite well with no runs or fish eyes or sags and has a really great shine to it. I think it will look ok considering it will be my first paint job and done in a homemade paint booth in my garage. I'll post some pics when finished.

Mike
vwman099

Preparing to paint car!

Post by vwman099 »

Has anyone seen any cars painted using the "OMNI" line? Do you think it is a reasonable quality for a good price?

Thanks!
Nathan
74EMPI

Preparing to paint car!

Post by 74EMPI »

Well the body is painted. I have a couple of drips and some dust but other than that the paint covered really well and the shine is great. The psheet on the paint says you can polish after 16 hours. Would I be able to polish out the drips and dust or how else can I deal with them.

Mike