Stereo in glovebox and abs door panels

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
bikesndbugs

Stereo in glovebox and abs door panels

Post by bikesndbugs »

So im putting my stereo in my glovebox and doing abs door panels havent seen any write ups on it so this will be that

I have no glovebox as the stock one was desroyed. I wanted the radio in my glovebox as i will have switches in my dash and my glovebox seemed a good place to keep it out of harms way and hidden from those dishonest folk.

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201701 ... ae2d4c.jpg[/img][img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201701 ... 4c2c81.jpg[/img]

Started with cardboard to do a general mock up. I wanted to have the back covered to stay watertight. I plan on having it removable by sliding. Not sure about material yet maybe thin sheet metal or extra abs from my door panels.
Going 2 6x9s in a rear speaker box and then 6inch speakers in the door pannels
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Piledriver

Re: Stereo in glovebox and abs door panels

Post by Piledriver »

Corrugated plastic cardboard from a sign shop (or a used election sign, perhaps) works great, cut with scissors, and holds up for ages if not in direct sunlight.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Piledriver wrote:Corrugated plastic cardboard from a sign shop (or a used election sign, perhaps) works great, cut with scissors, and holds up for ages if not in direct sunlight.
worried about strength for that as it will be in a baja and that will be very rattly. i have 2 tabs up top so im worried about coregated being strong enough for that.
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Got the pannels made up i used 1/16th inch abs. Realized it was a bit thin so i reinforced it with extra abs. Used old belts as the door handke pulls. I jsut traced out the pannels from the originalls.

When i intalled them i used sheet metal screws and finishing washers i drilled holes at a bit of an angle to pull it tight.

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201701 ... 00f25b.jpg[/img]
[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201701 ... 9d5917.jpg[/img]
[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201701 ... 8b42a0.jpg[/img]
[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201701 ... 149ce5.jpg[/img]
[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201701 ... 4740bf.jpg[/img]
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201702 ... dd04f4.jpg[/img][img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201702 ... 7a94ae.jpg[/img]
Stainless box for the stereo now its rivited in ill take more pictures tomorow.
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201702 ... ed6745.jpg[/img][img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201702 ... de929a.jpg[/img][img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201702 ... 003397.jpg[/img]

Got it all installed works great and sounds good. The abs is just for weatherproofing.
Travis