shift knobs

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
bikesndbugs

shift knobs

Post by bikesndbugs »

what are some interesting shift knobs you guys have and how'd you make them. theres always the classic skateboard wheel but thats boring i wanna do something cool thats not gonna cost a whole bunch
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
H2OSB

Re: shift knobs

Post by H2OSB »

Well, I have the optional ball knob on my Berg shifter. Love that thing.

H2OSB
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bee ... noapp=true

Now when I was your age we tried to get these for...

Actually there are a lot of different styles from the VW parts sites who carry shifters and places like amazon and ebay. Tee-handles are common but I still prefer a ball for all around comfort.

Lee
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Actually there are a lot of different styles from the VW parts sites who carry shifters and places like amazon and ebay. Tee-handles are common but I still prefer a ball for all around comfort.

Lee
your pictures dont seem to be working for me not sure why. T handles and balls are alright im just looking for some stuff thats out of the ordinary. I do like the beer tap idea its really cool just not really a me thing the grenades are pretty cool but those get pretty pricey.
Travis
falcor

Post by falcor »

Just pinch a pair of vicegrips onto the shifter and you're done. :)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

bikesndbugs wrote:
Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Actually there are a lot of different styles from the VW parts sites who carry shifters and places like amazon and ebay. Tee-handles are common but I still prefer a ball for all around comfort.

Lee
your pictures dont seem to be working for me not sure why. T handles and balls are alright im just looking for some stuff thats out of the ordinary. I do like the beer tap idea its really cool just not really a me thing the grenades are pretty cool but those get pretty pricey.
Sorry 'bout that. They worked last night as I checked them. They are no big deal just of a couple of my old 'rods with the 28 roadsters door open showing the tall shift rod sticking up with a beer tap handle on it.

Right now I can't even sign into Photo bucket to replace the URLs. Age wise I was a bit older then as you are now (mid-20s... OMG I just realized they were taken 50 years ago :shock:. It doesn't seem like that far back ).

Lee

I just checked and they are down for maintenance. Lee
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... ?p=6950560

this is what im looking for but more than just that like out of the norm things. Ive got some old rc wheels that might work i figure a piston woud work but a vw piston is a bit big.
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

On the second page of the URL I sent there is something like the picture you posted ... but different: it is a "pull my finger" shift knob. An old running joke where an old guy asks a kid to "pull my finger" and then, when the kid did, (innocently) he would fart. Juvenile but funny... if everything goes right (and the accompanying verbal abuse from everyone is worth it). :roll:

I never did like the "feel" of pistons (large or small versions) used as shift knobs but drilled and mounted pool balls do feel good; it is the more square corners between the crown and the skirts of the piston that bothered my hand. There is a guy around here that turns burl and other types of wood products into shift knobs iof many different shapes.

The "pistol grip" of the Mopars', during the battle of the car war (late 60's - early 70's mostly) days are OK but your shoulder is push pulling towards the seat back more than the Tee-handle does. The idea of the "Tee (grip that is still around)-handle" is for your arm and the shift lever was to "join into sort of a one piece unit". The Tee (w/a jam nut) allows you to set angle the shift handle grip into a comfortable position to accomplish the "join" to the shifter's handle.

For those who don't drink (such as me) the tap handles are not an "expression of want" more than a fun thing to have. It was cool back then and, in my opinion, it still is. A work of art on a work of art.

There were some guys to figured out how to form a rubber glove into a certain shape (I will not divulge that shape as it is a no-no as far as I am concerned) so that when you went into reverse or second you made a "statement". Really juvenile but so are some people I guess.

Lee
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

i think itll end up a skate wheel for now untill i find something better
Travis