I want to do this!

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
rostigbug

Re: I want to do this!

Post by rostigbug »

Lew wrote:I ripped out my original white headliner the other day and I want to do what was done in the 69 that's pictured. However my car a 72 standard has clips on the door post, and along the upper doors edge on my car that the orignial headliner tied into.
The 69 pictured has grey commercial carpet from Pep Boys in the ceiling. The car was built as a Cal Look and looked terrific. I saw this car in this years Winter VW Jam in Daytona, but the second owner did not do the body work, so he was not sure about it having the clips. I don't know if the 69's had clips for the headliner, if they did they were removed from his car and smoothed over with body filler possibly, and that's most likely what I am going to do. Anyone do something like this? :)

Can you pleeeze post some pics of the area around & below the rear window
HPIM0162.JPG
HPIM0149.JPG
tim "FISH" fisher
Maxx-Pro FSR
camp Stone, Afghanistan
Wine improves with age
the older I get the more I like it
Lew

Post by Lew »

rostigbug wrote:
Lew wrote:I ripped out my original white headliner the other day and I want to do what was done in the 69 that's pictured. However my car a 72 standard has clips on the door post, and along the upper doors edge on my car that the orignial headliner tied into.
The 69 pictured has grey commercial carpet from Pep Boys in the ceiling. The car was built as a Cal Look and looked terrific. I saw this car in this years Winter VW Jam in Daytona, but the second owner did not do the body work, so he was not sure about it having the clips. I don't know if the 69's had clips for the headliner, if they did they were removed from his car and smoothed over with body filler possibly, and that's most likely what I am going to do. Anyone do something like this? :)

Can you pleeeze post some pics of the area around & below the rear window
HPIM0162.JPG
HPIM0149.JPG
Sorry about a picture below the windows, that's the only picture I have of the inside top portion of the car. It was at the Daytona Winter VW Jam. However all the metal below the windows is free of headliner material. My car is the same, and will be painted to match the car. I will try and post a picture of my car in that area a little later. Watch for it! :)
GonzoTx

Post by GonzoTx »

I've got the carpet to do this to my '67 Baja and I was wondering about the area under the rear window and the inner wheel wells too. I am planning to try to glue carpet over sound deadner back there to cut down on all the heat and sound I can. One thing I do know from covering speaker boxes,spend the money for the 3M spray trim glue ! Its $10-$12 a can but worth every penny !!!
Buggin_74

Post by Buggin_74 »

BAJA-IT wrote:Looks like they cut the tabs off the B piller and used a pinch weld molding (the same stuff used on the rear side windows when you have pop out windows) to finish off the seam. Above the door it looks like they cut the headliner tabs off (drill out the spot welds) and finish sanding for paint.
Nah its all factory.

Several models of bugs came like this with only the center section of headliner and no clips for a full one.

Standard beetles in here in Aus, all later 1200 bugs in Europe, and the 110 basic bug in the US were like this.

1974 Germanlook 1303 Suba-Beetle
Subaru EJ25 Boost R 17", 4 Wheel discs, Topline suspension and A/C
my quite

Post by my quite »

I did it in a 68 i had. I just used some commercial grade indoor/outdoor carpet, with the heavy rubber pad on the bottom. I cut it bigger than the opening and wedged it in. the contour of the roof held it in place nicely. I should have done that in my super, i hate the original headliners.