'69 beetle dash to look like early padless dash

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
RLeeBain

'69 beetle dash to look like early padless dash

Post by RLeeBain »

Hello,

I don't especially care for the way the padded dash looks in my beetle, and would like to have it resemble more of, say early '60s.
Questions:
1. Is there anyone that has done this, with pics to share?
2. Can I swap headlight, windshield wiper knobs, etc... without fabrication?
3. Are the ashtrays interchangeable?
4. How do I remove the factory knobs that are currently in there without damaging them (or buying the overpriced tool i saw someone selling recently?)
ANY opinions, comments, criticizm, or general knowledge on the matter are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

-Bain
perrib

Post by perrib »

There is a cheap Empi version of the tool.
Most of the switches fit without modification.
Here is the correct way to fill unwanted dash holes.
First you make some metal plugs that fit the unneeded holes.
Tack weld them in place the better they fit the less problems you will have. Weld and finish grind them slowly to prevent warpage.
I filled the early starter switch hole becuase I wanted to retain the locking steering column..
Warpage was kept to a minimum the shiny grider marks are visable below the file marks. Picking and filing them will allow use to just use primer surfacer to fill the grind marks without bondo.
If you can use clamps as a third hand.
Defrosters filled in.
Getting closer.
You can see the dash from both sides so both sides should look good.
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Looks good!!!
I get to do this to my sons '72 as he does not want the padded dash.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
perrib

Post by perrib »

The padded dash looks out of place on a T-1.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

does anyone know if an earlier glove box cover will fit without mods..

Easiest way to "fake it" would be to put a radio block off.. early gash pods and glove box door.

T.
bug&911nut

Post by bug&911nut »

I did the dash conversion on my '74, and put the earlier glove box door too by cutting the front panel off an early door, and welding it to the later door back. Here's a shot of front and back when done.

I left my center defrost vent to make it look like a 66-67.

[/img]
Marc

Post by Marc »

I've heard that `68 Australian Beetles did not have the padded dash, and am curious if they had special defroster vents. One of my project cars is a `69 that's had the dash pad removed and a gorgeous custom paint job done on the dash, so I'm looking for an easy solution to the defroster outlet problem that wouldn't involve welding in filler plates and ruining the paint.
Slow 1200

Post by Slow 1200 »

in non-US spec beetles, padded dashes were always an option, this is how non-padded dashes looked like:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit ... ge0003.jpg
67 Type-1

Re: '69 beetle dash to look like early padless dash

Post by 67 Type-1 »

If you have old issues of VW Trends magazine,they had a 3 or 4 page article on doing this conversion.To make the dash vents fit you have to trim them down (there is like a line in the plastic about half way between the top and the bottom edge) as they are too long without the pad in place.Then they will fit.I'll look to see if I can find the issue it was in.I think it even had the glove compartment door that fits or the mods to make it fit.
(o\_|_/o)
barls

Re: '69 beetle dash to look like early padless dash

Post by barls »

its true australia did have the unpadded dash till 73.
here my 1302

i also still have a dash sitting in a front cut that i have if anyone is seriously interested as shipping isnt cheap to the states also its rhd.

we did have a special set of vents but they are really hard to come by now. im still trying to locate a new center vent