Interior and Sound from scratch

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Interior and Sound from scratch

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:34 pm

.
I bought a short wheelbase fiberglass beach buggy some years ago,
and got a lill tired with the interior and sound installed by the previous owner.

This is how it looked like before :

A grey painted ordinary wood panel with some gauges and an old radio.
and a few beige carpets travelling around on the floor :

Image

Notice the hard to read speedometer at the left side of the steering wheel,
the gold painted tunnel and foot end, and the ugly nuts that hold the body to the chassis :

Image
.

User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:46 pm

.
The rear didn't look very exciting either.
A grey carpet over the hard fiberglass back seat.
Only good to let the wind twirl around and give you a cold neck while driving :

Image
.

User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:07 pm

.
So I decided to make a lockable trunk for the back seat area.

With a little help from my dad, I created this thingy from multiplex wood panels :

Image

Image

Image

It might look easy, but it sure wasn't :oops:
There's not even 1 straight side in the back of the buggy,
and I didn't want to bolt it on the body, so, it needed to be a perfect fit.
.

User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:53 pm

.
Covered with some foam and strong black immitation leather,
thanks to its conic shape, the result fits like a glove,
no screws, bolts or nuts needed 8)

Image

Image

Image

Instead of a rock hard unused rear seat, I now have a very practical lockable trunk in the back.
No more cold wind playing in that area, and a good excuse to keep the neighborhood kids out of the buggy :wink:
.

User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:04 pm

.
Removing the old wooden dashboard panel,
and the reminders of what once was the original fiberglass dashboard,
revealed the pre-historic electrical wiring and dito fuses.

Image

Image

Image

I think I can consider myself lucky this spaghetti never caught fire.
.

User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:25 pm

.
Time to get creative ...

Making a design with MDF board :

The 1st attempt

Image

Image

I wanted to give my dashboard some "depth",
that's why I came with the idea to install a mushroom style center console for the gauges.
But it turned oyt the mushroom was too wide, and would steal too much of my leg space. (i'm 6ft 2" tall)
.

User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:35 pm

.
The 2nd attempt

Image

Image

With the speedo and the rpm meters vertically instead of horizontally alligned,
I could make the mushroom smaller and keep more leg space.
The row with gauges right in front of me really looked nice,
till i put the steering wheel back in,
and realized i wouldn't be able to read half of the gauges.
.

User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:44 pm

.
The 3rd attempt

Image

Image

Image

Keeping the mushroom smal, and adding some more symmetry,
by giving the console with switches at the left side of the steeing wheel,
exact the same dimensions as the glove box on the passenger side.
.

User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:03 pm

.
While waiting for the carbon fiber, aluminum, immitation leather and carpet I ordered,
I made an L shaped fiberglass cover to hide the bolts and nuts that keep the body on the chassis.

Image

Image

Image

Meanwhile also testing if I could fit speakers in the corners in the front.
.

User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:27 pm

.
The carbon fiber arrived (the real stuff, not some glue on immitation).

I started with the switch panel console and the glove box door :

Image

Putting epoxy over them

Image

Image
.

User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:31 pm

.
Sanding them

Image

Image

Image

The bottom picture shows there's more epoxy needed.
.

User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:11 pm

.
More epoxy, more sanding, more epoxy, more sanding, and fine sanding,
then they looked like this :

Image

Image

Image
.

User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:16 pm

.
Same thing for the center console mushroom :

Image

Image

Image
.

User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:27 pm

.
Meanwhile I already made the muschroom fiit on the rest of the dashboard :

Image

Image
.

User avatar
cris_blitz
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Post by cris_blitz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:45 pm

.
Covering the chassis tunnel wit black carpet,
and shaping some aluminum to serve as a foot rest,
+ another strip to fit under the emergency brake handle :
(the boot was taken from a BMW E30)

Image

Image

Image
.

Post Reply