Shifter knob adapter?

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
ashman40

Shifter knob adapter?

Post by ashman40 »

I just bought a nice leather shifter knob from Aircooled.net w/ 12mm threads. When I bought it I assumed my shifter had the same size threading, of course I was mistaken. I have an Empi trigger shifter (loop pull for reverse and a black ball knob) which has 10mm threads.

Any suggestions on where to buy a thread adapter w/ 10mm inner and 12mm outer threading? I've searched the Internet and only found one source that says they can make a custom adapter for any shifter.

I was hoping to find a cheap $2 threading adapter somewhere.
AshMan40
---------------------------
'67 Beetle #1 (project that never made it to the road - SOLD)
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD) (RIP due to frame rot)
'67 Beetle #2 Project (2019 project car)
Marc

Post by Marc »

I faced a similar problem fitting a shift knob to my son's circle-track car. I found a used case-saver that was 10x1.5 inside and 12x1.5 outside - I believe it was from Time-Sert. They don't show the outside thread size of their inserts on their website, but I've a hunch that their P/N 10155 (or any of its shorter 1015x brethren) is what you're after.

http://www.timesert.com/

Standard steel case cavers for 8x1.25 head studs are 12x1.5 on the outside...I suppose you could take one of them and drill/tap the inside to 10x1.5 too, it'd be pretty thin if you didn't get the threads "in phase" but probably strong enough for a shift knob.