Center console

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
JohnB351

Center console

Post by JohnB351 »

I was thinking of modifying an automatic center console from another car to fit my auto square.
Has anyone seen or done this before. I wanted to make a dash console for a stereo and gauges,
and would like to blend it with a factory look center console.
SureFit Travis

Post by SureFit Travis »

When you say 'from another car,' what kind of car are you referring to?

I have been working on the interior of my '68 Fastback over the past 3 years (when I find free time to work on my own upholstery stuff), and one of the things I also want to incorporate in my interior is a dash-to-floor console to mount the stereo, gauges, CD storage, etc......although, I hadn't considered extending it down the tunnel past the shifter.

I think the only quirk I encountered when I did a quick mock-up for my console was allowing space for your right foot on the accelerator pedal; it's quite a tight area to the tunnel.

Oh, and my car is the 4-speed, so we have some slight differences.

So again, what's this other console outta? Do you have pics?

Travis
JohnB351

Center Console

Post by JohnB351 »

I was thinking of a console out of a Grand Am maybe or some other small automatic :idea: . I would measure and do a junkyard search. I have made under dash consoles before, and you're right, the first one I made went to the tunnel and was too tight for my size 12's. I cut some of it out of the way, but it looked funny. The next one I made was suspended from the dash, about 12'w x 6"h.
I was just wondering if anyone has adapted some other center console into thier auto T3 :?: . Would be able to use a better shifter indicator too.
67FastyRSA

Post by 67FastyRSA »

I used a console from a Mk I GTi golf.
It has the 3 VDO guages already and the correct placing for the shifter(i've got a manual)
The area above the top part of the console is where my CD/MP3 player lives in its own aluminium bracket that is fixed to the console below. It works quite nicely....
windsor_vento

Re: Center console

Post by windsor_vento »

ne pics of that?
bullyboy

Post by bullyboy »

damo99

Post by damo99 »