Brake lights don't work when light switch is on???

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
philb479

Brake lights don't work when light switch is on???

Post by philb479 »

Hey everyone,

First off I have searched and have found nothing, second I have a color copy of the wiring diagram for my year car and I placed all the wires according to the diagram in their respective places on the fuse box. Everything seems to work fine but when I turn my lights on the FRIGGIN brake lights don't work. Turn the lights off BINGO the brake lights work. I am at my wits end I have the diagram, the fuse box picture, and the list that tells you what everything is and I still have this problem. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Phil
JohnB351

Post by JohnB351 »

Sounds like a grounding problem. Start by removing the brake/tail light assemblies, and removing and cleaning the grounding screws and terminals for each side, then reassemble. I'd try that first.
suicidedoordavid

Post by suicidedoordavid »

what does the red LED push button on the dash lit up RED mean?
Actively searching for someone to fill a fire alarm inspector position for the New Orleans La branch. If you are certified and experienced in the fire and safety field, PM me or apply at www.simplexgrinnell.com.
Air_Cooled_Nut

Post by Air_Cooled_Nut »

The T3 didn't come with LED's nor does it have an illuminated push button. :?:
'72 VW Squareback w/Berg 5-speed and ragtop
'76 VW Riviera Bus
'95 VW Jetta, Peloquin'd, CHE tranny, nicely modded
'81 Honda Goldwing, naked
'06 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 (monoposto)
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Did the type-3 every come with the bay bus'ish brake light warning light? It fit is a “D” shaped hole on the dash and had a wheat shaped bulb.

You could push one of them and it would light up.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Marc

Post by Marc »

All cars sold in the US from `67-up were required to have dual-circuit brakes (two separate hydraulic circuits, either front and rear or LF/RR and RF/LR). Starting in `68 a requirement was added that there be a warning system to alert the driver if there was a failure of either circuit. Initially VW responded to this requirement by using a master cylinder with an hourglass-shaped "shuttle-piston" in a passage connected between the circuits that would shift and tickle a mechanical switch to light the warning light if either circuit developed substantially more pressure than the other. These master cylinders had three 2-prong switches (two hydraulic, one mechanical) and are obsolete. In 1969 a new setup was introduced that used two 3-prong hydraulic switches instead, cleverly wired so that if one of them actuated and the other did not it would feed power back to light the warning lamp. Through `71, the warning lamp had a "push-to-test" feature - pressing on the lens with the ignition on closed a switch that would make the lamp light. ALL that this tested was that the bulb worked. Starting in `72, the warning lamp was tied in to the generator/alternator so that it would light when the key was switched on, then go out as soon as the charging system started putting out (unless there was a fault). All this did was eliminate the need for the driver to push the button to see if the bulb still works - there's still no real testing of the system going on.
If the warning lamp is on, it may be due to an actual imbalance in pressure between the circuits; it also could be due to a wiring fault, or a stuck piston/faulty mechanical switch in the early setup, or a faulty (hydraulic) switch in the late setup.
If the early-style master cylinder has been replaced and the wiring not properly converted for the two 3-prong switches, it could just be that the abandoned wires from the early mechanical switch are touching...

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/4brake.gif
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/3brake.gif