can i bypass nuetral switch ??

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
ppaka

can i bypass nuetral switch ??

Post by ppaka »

Aloha Guys and Gals ,
I think my nuetral switch on my auto 69 square is fualty , test light says no juice going by . Do you guys think i can just skip the switch by joining the connections instead of having a switch ? Is there anything else wrong w\ the idea besides starting it in a gear ?
Thanks for any knowledge ,
PAKA
metropoj

Post by metropoj »

Have you tried the switch in it's Neutral and Park position ?

There is no real problem with bypassing it, but I personally wouldn't. It's all to easy to start the car and end up through someone's house / car / pedestrian / etc ....
Bobnotch

Post by Bobnotch »

Your 69 should only start in neutral, not in park too. On my 69, I jumped the switch out, because I can't remember to only start it in neutral, as I keep trying to start it in park. I've been conditioned to do it this way for too long. I know this isn't right, but it does work for me. The later cars (after 70) started to get the multipostion shifter switch that allowed it to start in park too. I hope this helps.
paka

ok

Post by paka »

thanks guys , i'll just have to be careful . even in nuetral no current passes .
Marc

Re: ok

Post by Marc »

paka wrote:thanks guys , i'll just have to be careful...
You could always rig up a relay so that the starter could only work when the brakelights were on - at least you'd have your foot already on the pedal that way.
Bobnotch

Post by Bobnotch »

Yeah, that might work Marc, as I normally have my foot on it anyway ( from conditioning my left foot for working the clutch pedal). You'd think that on a MT they would have added a switch to keep you from starting it without the pedal being depressed. On my water pumper, they didn't add that switch their either (89 Fox w/MT). Wouldn't that be just as bad starting it with it in gear and not having the pedal depressed? Just a thought. :shock:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Bobnotch wrote:...Wouldn't that be just as bad starting it with it in gear and not having the pedal depressed? Just a thought. :shock:
I think the assumption is that a manual-trans car isn't likely to actually start if you crank it in gear (just lurch) where an automatic could be started easily and you might not realize it was in gear. Newer cars are starting to add more interlocks, maybe because EFI starts easier and maybe just out of fear of lawsuits. I had a `53 Studebaker that was cranked by a button on the floor when you depressed the clutch the last little bit, so there's nothing new but the implementation.
paka

hmm , a switch

Post by paka »

i think i might do what ive done on past cars , put in a little secret switch on that line so you have to turn switch on to start car . Makes it a little harder to steal my car . Thanks for the response guys !!!!