Stuck Hood Latch

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
jaymonz2000

Stuck Hood Latch

Post by jaymonz2000 »

I have a '70 Square and I can't get the hood open. The cable is still attached to the latch and it seems to be moving freely. Any help would be appreciated.
Bobnotch

Post by Bobnotch »

How is the condition of the glove compartment by the release handle? If its partly destroyed then the screw might have come out and have destroyed the box (kinda common). You might be able to hold the mechanism with one hand and work the handle with the other to get it to work. If this doesn't work, you might have to try a couple of other things like pushing down on the hood a couple of times first to get the latch ready to release, or even the most radical; drilling a hole in the front apron under the emblem to get to the latch and manually moving the release cable. I'd try the first 2 methods (even in combination) before trying the last one. I hope this helps.
rustyfastback

Post by rustyfastback »

I used to have a '70 fastback. The hood release lever had come loose from the glove box. I had to pull on the cable with vise grips to get the hood to release. You might have a friend lifting up on the hood while you pull the release cable. I had to drill a hole in my front (1/4") apron to get the hood open on my '64 notchback. On the notch I could tell the cable was not moving the release mechanism so this was my only option.
L771

stuck hood

Post by L771 »

is there another release cable under the front passenger side wheel well?

also theres (on my 71 anyway) an access hole on the outside, round thing with a metal cover directly below the latch, beneath the spare i think. if you can get something up in there..