turn signal swap?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
andrew361

turn signal swap?

Post by andrew361 »

I have a '71 squareback, and before I repaint it, I'd like to replace those big chunky turn signals with something else. Does anyone know if the smaller wrap around signals would fit without modification? I was also thinking about trying to put some bullit signals on. I know the hole behind the current signals would need to be filled in if I went that route. My neighbor is an expert welder (he's building a submarine. no joke), so that wouldn't be a problem to fill up. My question would be, would the bullit signals fit the late model fender, or do they have a different curve to them? Any other suggestions? I'm open to all ideas at this point.
Thanks,
Andrew
Bobnotch

Post by Bobnotch »

Andrew, if your going to use the bullet signals you're going to have to fill in the hole left from the big ones. This would be a good time to shape the metal to fit the bullets when that metal gets welded in (this is how I'd do it). My son is using a set of old (glass lense) back up lights on his early type3 to replace the old wrap arounds that he didn't get with the car. We both looked at it and we think they will fit with a little modification. At one point we thought about going to the bullet style, but we lost the set we had (I guess the gremlins got 'em). I hope this helps.

Post by guest »

Hey andrew,
If the lenses on the original are still good please offer them up and not throw them out ,
Just thought I would mention this , seen it happen too many times.
-Bryan