Downsides of restoring a Type 3?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
tmcclung

Downsides of restoring a Type 3?

Post by tmcclung »

I've always loved the older VW's. Specifically my favorite is the Type 3 and I've been thinking about starting a restoration project on one. I've had some people tell me to stay away from restoring Type 3's because getting parts is difficult. I was wondering if people on this forum could give me some feedback and let me know about there experiences getting parts for Type 3's. Also, how much $$ did it take to restore yours and what condition was your Type 3 in when you started the project?

Thanks in advance...
Air-Cooled Head

Post by Air-Cooled Head »

Welcome to the fever!
Your friends told you truth. T3 stuff is way harder to find than Bug stuff. And much of it is more expensive than it's Bug counterpart.

So the only real "down" side, is the time and $$$ you'll spend doing it. But when you finish, it will feel like the best time and $$$ you ever spent!
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Type 3's are great...still childsplay compared to restoring a type 4 tthoug :shock: Ray
Bobnotch

Post by Bobnotch »

Ray, I've never tried restoring a type4, as I continue to inflict enough pain doing type3s.
This is a little long, but...
I've restored a few of them now, with my first being 14 years ago (coming due for repaint as its starting to show its age, the finish that is), as its now my wife's car. The first one I did was a 70 Fastback, and just missed (by 2 months) getting new pop out window seals to finish it (at that time). I learned a lot about type3s with that one, but it was a mostly complete, mostly original, and for the most part unmolested, just worn out and due for a rebuild car. It went back together mostly stock too, except for the polished 8 spokes and the front getting dropped 1 spline.
The second one I did was a 70 Squareback, I bought this one cheap enough, went thru the mechanicals first, and then started sand blasting the surface rust (it had a lot of it too) and primed it. When I got done picking thru all the spots I found that the rust it had was about the size of a dime in the passenger front fender and both rear sections of the floors, but it had its share of dents that I worked out. This car died a horrible death from having air conditioning installed, then was parked next to a foreign car repair shop for over 15 years, and slowly parted, and used as a scaffold for painting the building (and caught in a flood). It turned out real nice and I kept it for 2 years then gave it to my Dad for his birthday (what else to you give a man who has everything or can go get it if he doesn't). It was painted light blue and white.
My third is my 65 Notch, that I got thru e-bay (in Oct 2000) and decided that this one was to be a long term project. This car was so rusty that I should have looked for a better car, but I decided to fix it instead. Its a factory sunroof car, and its been built to be driven, as it has IRS and 4 lug disc brakes up front, 1600 and dual carbs, with velour interior. It was originally Ruby Red, but now its Medium Blue metallic, so you see, its more resto-custom than stock. This car is the one I really got to practice my welding skills on, as every panel on the car had to be repaired. I almost cut the roof of it because it had so much rust. I was just glad that I found some good front fenders in Texas for it, as they were the only parts that were too far gone to fix correctly (my son is using the old ones on his Roadster Project though), as I was able to graft in some modified Squareback lower rear fender parts to my Notch fenders. I have been driving it for 2 summers now, but I see I still have some rust trying to haunt me that needs to be fixed again.
If you're going to restore a type3, try and find one that is complete and as unmolested as you can. I only say that because it will be easier on you and you don't have to try and hunt up missing parts, or find out what interchanges. Or try and find one already done, as there are some of them out there too.
The first car I restored I spent about 3500-4000 to restore, but I didn't know then what I know now either, my Square was about 2500, but I also did some trading of parts and labor on it, and did all the work on it. And so far, I've got between 3500 and 4 grand into my Notch, but then they are a little more rare, and this one needed so much money thrown at it. I also did all the work on it too, welding, dent chasing, primer, paint, bondo, interior, mechanicals,electrical, etc... everything.
I also have a 69 Square here that I got back in Nov 2002, that I got to drive and NOT restore. This car is really fun because all I have to do is just keep it running and maintained, and drive it like I stole it. I traded it for a 72 super bug that I restored back in 1997 (boy was that easy compared to a type3), so I got most of my money out of it already. :D I say its fun because I don't have to do much of anything to it as far as work, as it already looks good, interior is a little rough, but presentable, it drives good, and has good tires and brakes on it. I don't think its been restored yet, but one of its POs kept very good care of it, doing alot of preventative maintainence to it. Its a true driver. This is what I was meaning above by finding one that somebody else already restored. I hope this helps.
metropoj

Post by metropoj »

Well, it's not a Beetle for replacement parts, BUT it is also NOT a Type IV !

Most mechanicals are available as they all share some commonalities to their brothers and sisters in the VW fam.

Body panels, floors etc are difficult ( $$ ) but not impossible to find ...

Door seals, etc are $$ comparing to Beetles, but you'll enjoy the ride WAY more than a T1 any day .... in stock form, they feel great !

As suggested, the less unmolested the car, the better for your budget. Trim items and stuff like that are to look for in good shape, this is where you'll spend your money ... any body panel can be found on donor cars, as there were a few of them around .....
tmcclung

Thanks everyone...

Post by tmcclung »

Keep the stories coming if you have them. I'm getting the feeling that while restoring a Type 3 may be more difficult and expensive than a bug, I'll be happier with the end result.
Bobnotch

Post by Bobnotch »

Compared to a type3 a bug is easy. For a look at how to really restore a type3 go to; http://home.att.net/~drsowatt/index.html as Tom did a beautiful job on his 64. He also went a little beyond what most of us would do, setting the car up for both AT and MT (good thing too, right Tom?) and powering it with a large type4 engine to boot with fuel injection. The work on this car is flawless, the header alone is a work of art, and the wiring is like that found in commercial aircraft, well laid out and thought out. The magazine (VW Trends) article didn't do it justice. If you have time check it out!! Its definitly a 2 thumbs up ride. :D
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Type 3's are the best car VW procuced (aircooled)...of course next to the type 4 :lol: ..but... in general, in some ways its even better. Its a little simpler and has nice lines. The main parts I found hard to get....if all of the metal was basically sound, were the rubber of course, the dash, various small plastic parts. By the way, I have finished the mould for the late model gas tank filler boot. It may be august before I cast them from silicone. They are the same as type 4.Thats when mine should go to paint. Does anyone need one of these. I had to give up for a while on the moulds for the fender welting. I will start that again in July. Next o my 2 door 412 fastback...a type 3 fastback is one of the most satisfying ACVA's to drive. Ray
metropoj

Post by metropoj »

Ray ! I'm interested in a filler neck boot ....

I was prepared to fill in the external door and mount my tank neck inside the trunk, but if you are going through the process of creating some, I'd like the chance to get one ...

You have a cost ( rough ) yet ???

As for T3 vs. T4, the T4 technologically was pretty amazing. I liked the fact that you could set the clock to start your heater in the morning ( and the fact it was far away from the gas tank ! ) and come out to a toasty car, the ride is superb, space more than ample, a real great ride ..... too bad they flopped .... they were Nordhoff's final stand ( and failure unfortunately ) ... one of the most underrated VW's ....
JordanK

Post by JordanK »

chalk me up for a filler neck boot too...yay!
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

I would probably start them at about $10-15 each. I'm not interested in being in the parts market really, so just paying for the mold the silicone and some beer is enough. The mold is polyester, taken from a really clean, but hard as a rock type 3/4 gas tank boot. You will have to provide your own metal hoop for the top groove...but thats probably all thats left anyway. As soon as I fit one to mine (the fenders are off right now)...and I kow it fits perfect...I will drop a line. If it takes off...and dealers contact me.....you never know, but they are easy to cast. I am using 60 duro liquid pourable casting silicone. It only has a heat range of about 225 F...but its a lot more chemical proof than stock...and totally rot proof. Ray

Post by Guest »

Hello has all I am new on the site, veiled photographs of restoration of a type III, the restoration is in hand. To give you an idea of work has to realize to renovate a type 3 :shock:
Http://www.fastback.type3.fr.st
:D

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Hello has all I am new on the site, veiled photographs of restoration of a type III, the restoration is in hand. To give you an idea of work has to realize to renovate a type 3 :shock:
Http://www.fastback.type3.fr.st
oh my name is Biggege

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Hello has all I am new on the site, veiled photographs of restoration of a type III, the restoration is in hand. To give you an idea of work has to realize to renovate a type 3 :shock:
Http://www.fastback-type3.fr.st
biggege

Post by biggege »

Anonymous wrote:
Http://www.fastback-type3.fr.st
error of handling I am Belgian and English it is not easy A soon Gerald