Dellorto 40's vs Weber 40's - Any difference? Too big?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
Jimbo70

Dellorto 40's vs Weber 40's - Any difference? Too big?

Post by Jimbo70 »

I'm looking at a set of Dell 40's for the Fastback. I was initially thinking of going smaller until I talked to a previous owner of the car and he mentioned that the motor is a bit warmer than stock, though still mild. The questions I have are:

- Is there any difference between Dells and Webers of this size?
- Which would be preferable?
- Am I going too big on the carbs?

I have a header on the motor now, and I'm going to pull the exchangers for j-tubes. The cam is a little bigger than stock (I don't have the exact specs) and the heads are stock. I currently have a pair of really ratty Solexes on there. I rebuilt them last year but what I started with were really worn out.
flat4fantasy

Post by flat4fantasy »

I think the majority consensus is that the Dells are easier to tune, but parts are a problem. Webers are good carbs and parts more readily avail. but not quite a smooth running, all things being equal.

All out "balls to the wall" performance, IMHO, seems to be the same.

Peace,
Dave
RoWaMe

Post by RoWaMe »

Jimbo- I've run Weber 40IDFs on an otherwise stock 1600 with GREAT results. Took some fiddling with the jets to get it smooth and good mixture. Make sure the carbs have a smallish/moderate venturi to accomodate your stock intake valves. See www.aircooled.net's tech page for carb jetting. My IDFs had 28mm vent's, 110 or 115 mains and 50 idles. Fired right up ('77 Beetle) when cold, no stumbling after about 20 sec of running. IDFs and Dell's have same manifold attachment stud pattern. Best to get the type 3 kit with man's, short A/C and linkage from CB Performance, if you already have the carbs. On my '77 I used the Gene Berg linkage, which of course will not work on your Fasty.

VeeDub Parts Unlimited has a nice header and hide-away muffler for T3; I think Kymco now sells it too. Puts the muffler up ABOVE and to the side of the header so it's out of the way. But you lose the stock small "pre-heat" exchanger chamber coming off the rear cylinders... I bought one from VDPU 3 yrs ago for my '70 but the FI died before I could install it.
Jimbo70

Post by Jimbo70 »

I was thinking of having something made up at the local muffler shop for the Fastback. I've seen the quiet pack exhausts, and while one will probably fit my existing header, I'm not sure how hidden it would be. Anything as to be better than the stinger. Don't get me wrong, I like the stinger, but it doesnt' come straight out the back and after a winter outside its gotten rusty. Time to go a little more low key.

Carb wise, I'm going to keep an eye out for some 40's; either Webers or Dells. I'm watching an auction right now for a set of Dells here in CT, but I'm guessing that by the time the auction ends they won't be all that cheap.
RoWaMe

Post by RoWaMe »

At E-Town past Sunday there was a set of Weber 40 IDFs with manifolds (for type 1) going for $250. I don't know if they sold or what venturies they had, but I know the seller, so I could put you in touch with them.
Jimbo70

Post by Jimbo70 »

Let me see how the auction goes for these Dells. If the bid goes too high I'll let you know.

Post by Guest »

the 40's come stock with 28mm venturies so unless someone had them on a big motor then your fine in that department. i have seen some sets on thesamba.com in the classifieds section so you might want to check them out too.