keeps turning even after shutting down car.

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
weno

keeps turning even after shutting down car.

Post by weno »

here's a problem i have. first off my 66' fastback was kinda running like crap and everytime i would start it up, it would backfire and then start up later. so today i adjusted valves to spec and noticed that i gained more power and idle got a little higher and got rid of the backfire. anyways, now that i got that fixed, everytime i would park it and shut my car off, the engine would continue to turn over. whats causing my engine to turn over even after i turned off my car? is it being overly advanced? cause i had to advance it to like 10 degrees btdc cause of the vacuum advance not working. please help. thanks guys.
lilbill

Post by lilbill »

what do you mean "turns over"? if it's still trying to run (sounds kind of like a diesel with a cold) that's called "dieseling". it's usually caused by red hot glowing carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and either an idle set too high or an intake air leak. set your timing to no more than 28 deg full advance. what kind of carb are you running?
weno

Post by weno »

yeah it is dieseling. and i only notice after long periods of driving. yeah my total advance is like 10-12 degrees btdc. just to compensate for the vacumm advance not working. thanks. i guess i need to get that carbon buildup removed. thanks. any other suggestions what would cause my car to diesel?
lilbill

Post by lilbill »

dieseling is caused by two things happening at the same time. an ignition source (hot carbon usually) and a fuel/air supply. one of the reasons that vw put idle fuel or idle air electric solonoids on the later carbs was to prevent a fuel/air source when the key was turned off. find out what is causing these conditions on your motor.
excess fuel/air: carb adjustment, too rich mixture, intake air leak
ignition source: excessive carbon deposits, wrong plug heat range, incorrect ignition timing.

or maybe you're just holding your mouth wrong :lol:

Post by Guest »

a leaking carb will do it aswell.

Post by Guest »

Although your car is 'dieseling' , my square actually kept running at idle nicely after I removed the ignition key from it! It shut down when I then turned of the lights!! (I always drive with ligths on)
Of course it was an electrical problem, but it gave much surprise with my passengers...and was always good for a laugh. :wink:
Walter