sluggish, misfiring.. timing?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
71L7

Post by 71L7 »

dual carb 71 square. electronic ignition thing in the distributor. firing order is correct. timing is 'on' at idle rpms.. is this correct? do i need a tachometer? anyone know the specs on that?
Wally

Post by Wally »

Did they install a new rotor cap of a bug also when they replaced the rotor with the electronic thingy? The distributor cap of a bug is higher and 'touches' the rotor... well, just not, but the resulting too large an air gap in the cap is then bridged by a large spark in the cap (or not) and several misfires occur leaving large black deposits in the cap at the 4 pick-up points as a result.
The distibutor cap of a type 3 is shorter/lower as we know of course, but it is an easy mistake with todays shortage of type 3 special parts and not too knowledgeble pre-owners
Guess how I found out!
Then again, many other reasons are also possible...
Good luck,
Walter
Bobnotch

Post by Bobnotch »

71L7, are you running an 009? If so, then you need to set the timing to 32* at 3000 RPM, and let the idle timing fall where it may. I hope this helps.

------------------
Bob 65 Notch S
69 Square AT-the baby suburban

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
71L7

Post by 71L7 »

wally, the cap looks clean. theres a bit of play but it used to run fine. (until i screwed up the firing order, then the timing)..

im sorta new, mr. notch, so im not sure what 009 means. do i need to invest in a timing light/tach to get this right on? is it that sensitive? and what about the 32 degrees? is this an 'angle', a temperature?

thanks for your help..
Bobnotch

Post by Bobnotch »

Ok, an 009 is a vacuum can less distributer, meaning there only mechanical advance.I got a little more info about where to set it. You will need a tach that reads up to at least 4000RPMs though. The degrees are not really an angle, but more of a position in crankshaft revolution. Its like twisting the dist right or left, the amount you twist it to advance or retard is in degrees. I pulled this from a different type3 thread to help you find it with out using one of those timing lites with the adjusting knob.
The type 3 crank pulley is divided off with 30 circular castings on the rear
so 30/360 =12 degrees each
28 degrees would be 2 1/3 circular castings
from the TDC mark-the first mark on the fan/pulley
You put a white line here for your regular timing light to flash at while the engine is running at 3000RPM.
It's recommending 28 degrees advance.
This will get you very close to the proper advance for your engine. If you have one of those nice timing lights then you can disregard this part. You can also static set the timing to about 7.5*BTDC, and adjust from there. It sounds like you're currently at 0*. I hope this helps.

------------------
Bob 65 Notch S

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

[This message has been edited by Bobnotch (edited 03-20-2003).]
71L7

Post by 71L7 »

thats a lot of info bob, thanks. there is no vacuum advance on my distributer, this much i know. will any 'up to 4000rpm' tach do? (a buddys got one for his v8) .and my basic strobe timing light will be fine?

the 'crank pulley' is the turning thing in the hole (for timing) with the marks on it right? and those marks are 12* each?

what is static set timing?

if you can recommend any other threads, sites thatd be appreciated. again, im kinda new. thanks so much..
Bobnotch

Post by Bobnotch »

Ok, you have an 009 dist. Yes you can use the V8 tach, but look on the back of it and see if you can change the setting. Most tachs have a 4-6-8 cylinder setting, and you want the 4cyl setting.Yes a basic timing light will work fine.You just have to figure out where the end setting will now be though.

Yes, the crank pulley is at the rear of the engine, inside the black tin cover, that you use for timing. No those marks are not 12* each, the humps are though. The timing marks really depend on the year of the car/engine that you have. Some models start at 0 degrees, and the newer ones start at 7.5* after TDC. ALL of them have a 0* mark (its the bigger and deeper of the marks), so you want to mark to the right and count the humps from that mark, 2 and 1/3 humps to get you close, and then make a mark.

Static timing is where you hook up a light and have it come on while the engine is at 7.5* BTDC, while rotating the distributor to cause the light to come on. If you have the Muir book(How to keep your VW alive for the complete idiot), it shows this very well.

You really just need to back track this web page a few pages to find some info, theres also the Newbie site on this forum for ALL air cooled VWs, and of course theres www.vwtype3.org that is the definative web site for type3s. Keep in mind that type3.org deals with mostly stock cars, although the dark side does have a presence there. You will find more info on your car there than most any web site, and most of the listees will help with most any problem you have. I highly recommend it. I hope this helps.

------------------
Bob 65 Notch S

[This message has been edited by Bobnotch (edited 03-21-2003).]
71L7

Post by 71L7 »

picked up the '..keep your vw alive' book..