Trans help NOW, PLEASE!!

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
57 OVAL

Trans help NOW, PLEASE!!

Post by 57 OVAL »

Hello!! I have an auto 1970 sqrbck, it has been going through all gears before I hit 30mph. Today, it stopped working, car runs but doesnt go anywhere. Where should I start looking, could it be the hose that runs to the trans or is that to simple? Any help is needed ASAP, the car has been sitting at the gas station since 10:00 AM and will be there till noon tomorrow.
Thanks, Brian
hawaiianvw67

Trans help NOW, PLEASE!!

Post by hawaiianvw67 »

Hmmmm...if this were a standard shift, I'd say look at the release bearing, but that means dropping the engine, and you don't want any gas station grease monkeys doin' that for ya' (no offense to any gas station grease monkeys out there...its the beer talkin' Image ).

57 Oval, get a friend w/ a truck to tow you home or pay AAA. It will be worth it to just deal with this problem at home where you have some tools and time. Honestly, get it home first.

~Joel
Bobnotch

Trans help NOW, PLEASE!!

Post by Bobnotch »

I agree, get it home first. From the sound of what you're saying it sounds like maybe the govenor took a crap. Other wise I would think maybe the torque converter bolts fell out, but then you wouldn't be able to start it. My first guess is the govenor though. You're going to need some good advise on how to fix it though(I'm not qualified enuf for that)and I'd suggest posting this at: www.vwtype3.org as there are more knowlegeble people there who can help you out with fixing the automatic trans. I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch S
weno

Trans help NOW, PLEASE!!

Post by weno »

hey 57 oval....i'm not really experienced on automatic oldschools vdubs...but working on turbo 350's for chevys should be similar. a no shift is probably due to a bad valve body in the transmission or probably bad torque converter not allowing fluid to go through the tranny. automatics on a vdub are rare (thats what i think), but can't beat a manual. good luck on the transmission. and hope you get it running soon.
CADCHTVW

Trans help NOW, PLEASE!!

Post by CADCHTVW »

JUST A THOUGHT-your early shifts could be due to a sticking/worn out governor.popping the bail wire off lets you remove the gov. cup for insp-the little arms should move out freely.

The total lack of power transmission could be due to several problems-low fluid level,
clutch pack,steel plate contamination in the sump, blocking the screen,OR an oil pump driveshaft that twisted off or is simply not turning due to stripped splines,broken torque convertor.

In a situation like this I usually drop the pan after making sure the atf level is correct. Check for pieces in the pan(a small amount of fiber,metal is considered normal)Good luck!
raygreenwood

Trans help NOW, PLEASE!!

Post by raygreenwood »

This can also happen when the modulator valve totally fails. Its also usually not the only thing wrong. It can also happen when the oil pump fails...no fluid pressure. The type 3 bentley manual shows proper location of test ports on the side of the tranny for pressure testing with a guage. If the auto section is bad...do not get rid of the transaxle. You can simply remove the differential section from the slush box...and have the slush box rebuilt. If not you may very well get back a differential with a totally different gear ratio. There were several that will fit in that case with no mods. and you won't know. Ray
singlesquared

Trans help NOW, PLEASE!!

Post by singlesquared »

Convert it to a stick.
Thats all i can say after having several auto type 3s, I loved it when they worked but dealing with the problems became a problem. Paying close to $1000 for a rebuilt auto was not an option. So I bought a rusty type 3 that shifted decent and did the conversion. I used a $100 stick welder, a drill and a diegrinder. you will have to weld in a new clutch tube and weld in a nut to bolt the shifter to.

If you can get the Auto to work , then great , otherwise a conversion may be a future alternative.

------------------
Bryan Mitchell
65 singlecab, 71 squareback, 73 fastback, 75 campmobile
www.mvwe.org
---The beetle was practice for the Type 3
--Horsepower doesnt do you any good in an imaginary car
Bobnotch

Trans help NOW, PLEASE!!

Post by Bobnotch »

Bryan, what did you use for the clutch cable tube? I've been thinking about doing this to my Square, but I'm not sure about the tube part. It wouldn't bother me too much to do the conversion as I'd prefer a stick in the car anyway. When I bought my Square it already had the automatic, and I wanted a stick, but the car was clean and reasonably rust free (I live in Michigan). I think I remember you doing a write up about how you did your conversion on vwtype3.org, but I don't remember if you listed any parts or sources.

Bob 65 Notch S
69 Square AT-the baby suburban
Searoy

Trans help NOW, PLEASE!!

Post by Searoy »

I'll gladly take the auto stuff if someone is socal wants to convert. I've got a 71 Fasty with a 5 speed. I'll trade all the manual stuff for all the auto stuff.

------------------
*** Teach a Man to Fish ***
Darth Searoy

"I tend to lean toward a tighter gap and a
looser skirt....a little slap never hurt." --
Joe Locicero a.k.a. Joe of the West
CADCHTVW

Trans help NOW, PLEASE!!

Post by CADCHTVW »

The type 3 automatic is really a fine unit if all the bands are adjusted up,the modulator is dialed in and routine maint. is performed .

My old 70 squareback hauled with a 1600 FI and the auto unit.Just because some people may not be able to understand/repair them doesn't discount the fact that a type 3 that had an auto but now has a manual isn't worth as much.Just my humble opinion.