Rear Torsion Housing

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
p1cartfan

Rear Torsion Housing

Post by p1cartfan »

I have a 69 squareback with IRS I'm trying to convert over to a manual transmission. The problem is, I can't tell if the rear torsion housing is differant for the automatic. There doesn't seem to be enough room between the chasis and the torsion housing for the nosecone to poke through. Does anyone know if I need to swap out the torsion housing?. If so, can I use one out of a 69 or later bug? Are the dimensions the same? Or does anyone have an extra lying around they are willing to sell and ship? I also need a manual transmission mount. I have poured over my Bentley manual but it gives me no information regarding these questions. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ben
Bobnotch

Rear Torsion Housing

Post by Bobnotch »

I think you're going to have to use a torsion housing out of a 69 to 73 type3 with manual trans. I know the bug housing won't work. You will have to add in a clutch tube, or set it up for a hydraulic clutch. I think the Auto trans torsion housing has an extra stip of steel under the torsion housing that is keeping you from using it. Bryan out of N.C. has done this swap and may have more info on it. I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch S
Tom Notch

Rear Torsion Housing

Post by Tom Notch »

The torsion housing are the same whether auto or stick. You will need to get the front tranz mount for a stick, add a clutch tube, get the correct shift rod and shifter base. The latter allows you to bolt the shifter to the base which is bolted to the same hole as the auto shifter and has the front shift rod bushing holder (bushing is same as T1). And you also need to cut the hole in the bottom rear of the pan that the shift coupler and the front of the nose cone go into.

I knew I should have taken pix of this conversion when I did this to my auto pan.

------------------
Tom Notch
Tom's Old VW Home

[This message has been edited by Tom Notch (edited 01-16-2003).]
p1cartfan

Rear Torsion Housing

Post by p1cartfan »

Thanks for your feedback gentlemen. Tom you say the torsion housings are the same and that all I need to do is a little cutting on the pan. My ? is this. The torsion housing that is in there has smooth struts up to the tops of the shock mounts. Not like the pictures that you see with all the holes and the small flat to put a tool when your unin-installing the spring plates. Then Across where the transmission bolts there is a rectangle with 4 holes in it and a space above it that is maybe an inch tall and 4 or 5 inches wide. Is all I need to do, to make the manual trans work, is open up the space above the rectangle with the four holes for the transmission mount? Does that sound right?
p1cartfan

Rear Torsion Housing

Post by p1cartfan »

Tom, another question would be, how long is the clutch cable tube and what diameter? I have asked a couple salvage people if they can get this for me but they say it is welded in. I guess I'll have to fabricate it. Hydrolic is another way to go I suppose, but it sounds expensive. Thanks, Ben
Tom Notch

Rear Torsion Housing

Post by Tom Notch »

Smooth struts=T3
holy struts=T1

You need to get the rubber seal that goes on the front of the tranz, same for a t1&3 and use that for a template for the hole. And yes, it is above the 4 bolts in the TH, which is the actual pan. But also when you make the hole, it has to wrap under to the bottom of the pan and go forward about 4-5". It is sort of shaped like an old keyhole looking at it from the bottom with the narrow straight sides at the back and the forward part about 3" round. It would really help if you could get the cover plate for this hole from a manual car, it would answer a LOT of questions. This is where access is gained to put the shift coupler in. Plus you have to have a T3 hockey stick. The grub screw is on the bottom, not the top, and if you think one with two divots in it is correct, wrong!!! It will only get 2nd&4th, you must have the right parts. plus you need a pedal assmbly and the correct floor piece that goes around the pedals.

You may be able to find these parts by asking over at T3.org

Why don't you register, then you can edit your posts.

Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by p1cartfan:
The torsion housing that is in there has smooth struts Not like the pictures that you see with all the holes and the small flat to put a tool when your unin-installing the spring plates. Then Across where the transmission bolts there is a rectangle with 4 holes in it and a space above it that is maybe an inch tall and 4 or 5 inches wide. Does that sound right? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Searoy

Rear Torsion Housing

Post by Searoy »

Where are you located? I actually want to swap TO an auto.

------------------
*** Teach a Man to Fish ***
Darth Searoy

"I tend to lean toward a tighter gap and a
looser skirt....a little slap never hurt." --
Joe Locicero a.k.a. Joe of the West
p1cartfan

Rear Torsion Housing

Post by p1cartfan »

I'm in Sacramento. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] We can talk about doing an exchange. (i.e., wiring harness, shift cable & mechanism, pedals, shift rods, etc., etc.)