Engine install questions, universal case

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
Mark the canuck

Post by Mark the canuck »

A couple of questions about installing my engine into my ’71 square, this is a temporary engine, till I build my new one, but this engine will be in car for at least a couple of months. It's my 2 liter out of my bug.

First, the oil cooler stud is 6mm and the case is 8mm, what did you do? I guess I could make an adapter stud.

The old engine had cool tins these are aftermarket right?

Mounting for the full flow, filter adapter, lines, etc., where did you mount yours? Any tips or traps? Pic's?

Has anyone exploded a T3 fan? What rpm are they good for unmodified?(6000 rpm is my max.)

Did I miss anything?

Thanks Mark
Bobnotch

Post by Bobnotch »

Well lets see, that a pretty good list.
1)you can get a step stud to do the change or you can drill it out(that what I did on mine)as the oil(cooler part is well away)doesnt come close in that area. I think you can get the stud thru a VW dealer.
2)Are you talking about the "super cool tins" that wrap around the cylinders? If so you can use them, but they make putting on the upper tin a little harder.
3)I would contact Jim Adney from the type3 list:[email protected] as Jim has done this sevral times and could tell/show you how you need to set up the fittings to clear both the cross arm support and the fan housing.
4) I don't know of anybody destroying a fan, but from what I understand the factory red line is 5500, so you might be close if you get it up that high.
5) Right off hand I can't think of anything, but you will have to clearance the rear engine hanger supprt bar for your oil fitting for your cooler/full flow. Other then that you could also ask Jim. If you want tell him I sent you there.

Bob 65 Notch S
Mark the canuck

Post by Mark the canuck »

I found some full flow pic's here: http://www.icbm.org/erkson/ttt/engine/f ... l_flow.htm

Thanks Bob for your help. I wish the search function was working. Mark
Bobnotch

Post by Bobnotch »

Yeah, I forgot about Toby's site. I know he has a full flow. Glad I was able to help.

Bob 65 Notch S