new type 3 owner

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
byron

new type 3 owner

Post by byron »

i recently acquired a 1970 square with the original paint and interior. the paint is fading in spots but i might keep it on there just because it is original i have named her green bean because of her color. the interior is ok except she'll need seat covers for the front. the back is great the carpet will remain but she needs a new headliner and dash pad. she even has the original tool set and vw jack. she has a fuel problem at the moment. she smells of fuel and white smoke and fuel come out of the exhaust. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i plan on making her my daily driver so i need to get her going. well wish me luck.
2LSquare

new type 3 owner

Post by 2LSquare »

kewl...

Good luck with the FI (it has fuel injection right?)...
byron

new type 3 owner

Post by byron »

yeah it has fuel injection, it's my first experience with it, i've had 3 other vw's all bugs, still have a 69 actually, but i've always wanted a square. finally got one i'll get her going though, i'm getting good feedback from people so she'll be up and running in no time. i'll keep posting results and possibly some pics.
notched

new type 3 owner

Post by notched »

If you need help with the fuel injection, I highly recommend this site:
http://www.vwtype3.org

If you haven't found it already. There is a list that you can subcribe to, or you can just post questions to [email protected] and read the list via the web.

------------------
Phillip Bradfield

> '63 Notchback on '68 pan w/stock 1600
> '68 Squareback - w/67 euro fenders - no motor yet
> '69 Squareback - chopped 3 1/2" currently getting the drip rails shaved - no motor yet
> ?? Sandrail - Type 3 powered - 1835 w/dual 40 Dells
commongear

new type 3 owner

Post by commongear »

Congrats! I like our '70 Squareback a lot, though it has taken me a long time to get it running fairly well. I have to admit that the FI system is still largely a mystery to me. I don't think I've had symptoms the same as yours, but one thing that I had to be hit over the head with a few times with figuring out what was wrong with mine was: check for any & all vacuum leaks. In addition to this forum (including the Fuel Injection forum section of ShopTalkForums), I've also found this troubleshooting reference helpful:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/4123/

Good luck!

Steve from Common Gear
'70 Squareback
Stony Creek, CT
earthman

new type 3 owner

Post by earthman »

Did you get the injection sussed out? I've had to replace *all* fuel hose on both cars I've owned. 30 year old fuel hose leaks like a siv (spell?). Also found out that the injectors were leaking from the short run of fuel hose that is hard bound on them, I fixed that by trimming off the cracked hose and carefully reinstalling, you have to bear in mind that there really isn't much room for mistakes, the injectors were built with 'just enough'.

Seriously rich conditions can be a variety of things, my first car (the 70 sqbk, great deal for a case of beer) had a few fast & dirty 'fixes' performed by well meaning mechanics (including a "choke" switch, bypassing the cold start system). I'd make sure the entire wiring harness is intact and routed correctly. Look for electricians tape, big giveaway. Just because the car runs...

I smiled when I saw this site: http://www.914fan.net/djet.html

Our VW system is the same, though probably tuned a little bit different.

Good luck.
Cheers,
Curtis
Travis

new type 3 owner

Post by Travis »

Congrats on your new toy, where are you in Mobile? So far mine and an early Notch are the only 2 I know of that run around town.

Sorry I'm not much help when it comes to FI, mine's OG Carb'd.

Travis

------------------
Keedyweb
A proud member of Club LAVA & The Scenic City Volksfolks
byron

new type 3 owner

Post by byron »

i live in midtown on fulton st. i've seen you driving around i think. always admired your ride. i've seen a couple of other type 3's driving around but not many. i traded a 95 gti for the 70 square and a 69 beetle. the gti had some serious electrical issues. the beetle is in good shape new paint but put back together poorly after painting so i'm kinda going through it and replacing some stuff before i drive her too much. the square and beetle are gonna be my sole means of transportation so i gotta get one of em going soon. i guess greenbean will have to wait a bit, but not too long that was really my whole reason for trading. always wanted a square. my email is [email protected] if you wanna chat some more. or maybe i'll come down to whataburger if you guys still meet down there. when do you meet by the way? anyway i'm rambling on so email and see ya round.
Travis

new type 3 owner

Post by Travis »

Thanks for the admiration, she's nowhere near perfect but as a local club member told me a few months ago, tis sometimes easier to have a less than perfect Type 3 than a perfect Bug (there just aren't many of them to look at Image )

Travis

------------------
Keedyweb
A proud member of Club LAVA & The Scenic City Volksfolks
Bobnotch

new type 3 owner

Post by Bobnotch »

Yeah I used to have a 70 Square, Got rid of it when I first got the Notch, after a while I started missing my "baby suburban". Just got another one last month, I swapped a 72 super beetle for it.The super was done about 7 years ago as a father and son project that never got used enuf, so it was a perfect time to swap it for something I wanted.I got a 69 Square with AT fot it. But my Square has carbs, a plus for me as I've never had an air cooled VW with FI.I got because I was looking for a car that didn't need a lot of work,as I didn't need another resto project and I'm already working on a custom project now(some of the details can be found in another post in this section).

Bob 65 Notch S
Bobnotch

new type 3 owner

Post by Bobnotch »

You can see that post on page 2 of the type3 section, the post was called:last weekend i think.

Bob 65 Notch S