67 turn signals no flashy-flashy

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
threehouse

Post by threehouse »

Still tracking down the turn signal problem...
I've tried 4 different relays - 3 used and 1 new, reproduction unit from wiring works.
I replaced the fuse box and traced all the wires.
One of the front bulb holders is missing the ground tab, but they worked for years without it.
My turn signal lever was missing 1 of the brass contacts. Weird, but I relaced it with one from a spare lever.
So, all looks to be intact, but they won't flash. The dash light stays on steady, but the signal bulbs won't light.
Sometimes the flasher box will click really fast, like it's stuck on high speed and sometimes it will click only once.
This is driving me nuts!! I'm getting tired of lying down on the driver side floor trying to figure this out.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Many t'signal flashers are very sensitive to the load current passing through them (exception: "Heavy Duty" flashers that are typically used for vehicles which tow trailers sometimes - they have their own internal heating element and flash at a constant rate regardless of the load).
To make sure that the flasher isn't being "confused" it's best to bypass it and get all of the lights working properly first, then insert the flasher into the circuit. Connect the 49 (sometimes it's 15) black wire to the 49a black/white/green wire while you get all of the bulbs working right.
rustyfastback

Post by rustyfastback »

Sounds like the same trouble with my '66 fasty when I converted it to 12 volt. My problem was the relay ground where it bolts under the dash. I took a wire brush & cleaned the mounting plate. Also clean the metal on the back of the relay where the screw goes through, sometime rust starts to build there causing a bad ground.
Marc

Post by Marc »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rustyfastback:
...Sounds like the same trouble with my '66 fasty when I converted it to 12 volt. My problem was the relay ground where it bolts under the dash.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good call, I neglected to mention that the `66-`68 flashers need to be solidly grounded to work. Threehouse, have you been bolting in the relays you've tried to date?
threehouse

Post by threehouse »

Yeah, they've been snugly screwed in while checking. I'll try to scrape a clean contact on the body for the back of the flasher, but I'm pretty sure it's clean. A couple of the flashers have external ground wires too.
trixboy

Post by trixboy »

my turn signals just stopped snapping back after the turn. 71 squareback. any ideas?