Tie Rod Ends

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
CoolTomK

Tie Rod Ends

Post by CoolTomK »

My tie rod ends appear to be shot and I want to replace them all. I found the outer ones, but cant find the inner ones anywhere online. I have a 69 t3, I hear the pre 67 threads are different than the later years. I'm wondering if super beetle or late beetle tie rod ends will work. California Imports lists a inner right tie rod end for 67-74 t3, but its obviosly not the right part because it has a steering dampner hole, my steering dampner is attached to where the tie rods meet. If I could use this tie rod end for the right, could I use it for the left as well, or is there a different part I can use? I know they dont have the 9 degree angle, but non-t3 tie rod ends would have to work better than the loose ones on there already.
Marc

Tie Rod Ends

Post by Marc »

The size changed in March of `68 on the Type I, maybe the change came sooner on the Type III, I don't recall offhand. The early ones had 10mm threads/17mm nuts, the lates had 12/19. Since IIIs have the inners entering the pitman arm from below the left inner has the opposite angle compared to a Beetle; of course there's also LH thread/RH thread to take into consideration. I'm pretty sure that any RH inner with a steering damper hole in it is strictly for a Beetle and would be too long for your car (unless you shortened/rethreaded the rod to compensate). I know how hard it can be to find old VW parts on the east coast but it shouldn't be impossible to come up with the correct ones.
Someone in this forum should know the right answer, stay tuned.
CoolTomK

Tie Rod Ends

Post by CoolTomK »

Bobnotch, I read that on the type.org forums too, and I'll try autozone. It seems odd to me that a general auto store that usually caters to modern domestics would carry such a hard to find part that the VW stores dont even carry...
Bobnotch

Tie Rod Ends

Post by Bobnotch »

CoolTomK, yeah, I was surprised too, but sometimes you never know.

Bob 65 Notch S
Bobnotch

Tie Rod Ends

Post by Bobnotch »

CoolTomK, you might try asking for them at Autozone, as they carry some but you have to ask for them(they may have to order them for you). John J. from the vwtype3.org list went there for some for his 66 square, they even had the correct left inner with its 9 degree offset. I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch S