fastback engine & rattle advice needed...

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
SouthernCaliFastback

Post by SouthernCaliFastback »

1. I've got a new loud rattle, and I think it might be coming from my cooling fan - it gets louder when I rev the engine, but goes quiet at idle. Are those things hard to get off to have them welded?

2. Also, I've got a tapping noise coming from under the floor while I drive - do the cable tubes tend to come loose? And how hard is that to change?

3. Finally, with a newly rebuilt 1600, how big could I go on carbs to get more power without causing any problems with heating, too much gas, etc.
Bobnotch

Post by Bobnotch »

Well lets see if we can figure out whats what.
1)This sound can be one of 3 things:a)the screws that hold the cooling fan shroud have come loose and are bouncing/rubbing on the fan (grab the aluminum housing and try to shake/move it, if it moves you found your problem), b)the fan pulley bolt has come loose and is kinda flopping around (wasn't tightened to 95 ftlbs), c)the fan pulley has broke. These are some of the first things to check.
2)Where exactly is the tapping sound coming from? Is it just behind the front seats? Does it do it with power on or at a coast? I'm only asking because there is a front frame mount that bolts the frame to the floor and it sounds like you might be getting some noise from there.
3)I really don't know how big is too big, I've heard you can run 40s ,but you may have to change the venturies. You may want to do a search on the type1 forum or here and see what others may have tried. I know you can run 34ICTs, 36 dells, and stock Solex32s. I hope this helps you out and gives you some starting points to look for answers.

Bob 65 Notch S