Scary Moment or Two

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
1967Fastback

Scary Moment or Two

Post by 1967Fastback »

Last night I was out tooling around the 'hood in my 67 Fastback. As I was approaching a stop sign, two tomcats ran out into the street with the obvious intent of one killing the other. They were headed for my front wheels, so I hit the brakes (hate cats, but still don't like killing any animal). I backed up slowly to observe the roadkill and I was pleasantly surprised to see that both of the a$$hole cats made it out unscathed. Something I saw DID disturb me though...a solid line of liquid that continued back to run under my Fasty. I thought" Damnnit, blew a brake line..." but my whole braking system is new, right from master to rear wheel cylinders. I pulled over and got out, stuck a finger in the liquid....oil....fresh, warm, Valvoline Max Life 20w50 kinda oil. I pulled out a flashlight and peered under the back. Sure enough, oil coming from around the bottom of the bellhousing area. All I could think was "Oh no....F-ing rear main seal". So I checked the oil level and drove home to better inspect things. Upon a closer look, it seemed the oil was somehow coming from above, not the rear main area. I pulled the factory oil bath air cleaner off and lo and behold, when I braked rather hard to avoid the fighting felines, the oil in the air cleaner sloshed, went over it's "built in wall" and ran out the "weep hole" in the outer diameter of the air cleaner. A sigh of relief, a few oily rags and a refill of the air cleaner and my engine looked as good as new again. I found this strange. Has this ever happened to anybody else with the factory oil bath, dual solex air cleaner?? No, my air cleaner was not overfilled. Just filled to the red line.

------------------
Build it fast,but make it last.
http://www.angelfire.com/nm/marcandambe ... tback.html

[This message has been edited by 1967Fastback (edited 11-09-2002).]
JawKnee

Scary Moment or Two

Post by JawKnee »

Mine has never spilled out like that (67 fasty also) but look on the bright side... Your brake system must perform awesome! That is pretty rare for old VW's!! I have also replaced/rebuilt every single brake component on my car hopefully it will work just as well!! (The rest of the car is still being assembled)

Johnny