First paint job is FINISHED!!!

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
JawKnee

Post by JawKnee »

FINALLY! I finished it and this is really the only photo that shows how nice it is. The car isn't driveable yet, so I cant drive it to a good location to get a nice picture, but you get the idea. I painted it in my carport and spent about 3-4 months block sanding. I am happy with the results. My son loves the car probably as much as I do... he doesn't talk yet, but knows how to block sand!! (and imitates the aircompressor sounds)

JawKnee

Post by JawKnee »

I spent 3-4 months block sanding the primer that is!! I spent about 2 days color sanding the clear after I messed it up for the second time. Now it is "good enough"! I could probably spend the rest of my life picking it over, so I drew a line in the sand and called it quits.

Johnny
crack monkey

Post by crack monkey »

that looks good enough for me. i like the color congrats

------------------
crack monkey crap
Bobnotch

Post by Bobnotch »

Johnny, looks real good, now the hard part starts-putting it all back together without scratching it. What year and body style is it? From the pictures it looks like an early model notch or square. Good job.
Bob 65 Notch S
Air-Cooled Head

Post by Air-Cooled Head »

Looks good! Congrats. You and your son are welcome to come do mine!
Travis

Post by Travis »

Very cool! Results like yours encourage me towards my intention of doing the same thing next year

Trav

------------------
See my VWs @ Keedyweb
A proud member of
The Scenic City Volksfolks
& Club LAVA
JawKnee

Post by JawKnee »

Thanks guys! Its a 67 fastback body on a 69 IRS pan. I will put up some pictures of the motor mounts I made sometime soon.

The paint wasn't really hard to do, just tedious. I didn't know how fine to sand my high-build primer.. I actually worked it out way more than I needed to, but the results were good. I spent more on sandpaper than I did on my air compressor alone! (actually a lot more!) so anyone can paint, but it takes time and elbow grease to get it looking nice.

Johnny
Bobnotch

Post by Bobnotch »

Johnny, thats why your paint job came out so well,lots and lots of block sanding. What most people don't understand is that the prep work is the key to a nice finish. If you get that part right the rest is fairly easy. But as you've found out you can sand and prime for weeks and not look like you've done anything, then when you put color on it it looks damn good. I've seen where people just try to do a cheapy job, don't spend the time chasing little things and after they paint it, they wonder what happened. Like I said earlier looks damn good.Bob.