T3-Pros and Cons

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
needhamp

T3-Pros and Cons

Post by needhamp »

I have a Karmann Ghia that I'm working on but I'm looking at a Squareback to haul my snowboard/bike up to the mountains with and generally be a winter car. I haven't purchased the sqareback yet but what are some things I need to know?

The car is a 1972, original owner 102K miles with 3K on a new stock engine. It's been rear ended and the owner tells me the frame is bent. I looked at it yesterday and it looks mostly like body damage. I would need to replace both rear quarterpanels and the back hatch. Very little rust. I drove it yesterday and front end shimmies between 50-60. Is it worth $750? Pics at http://www.photoalbumweb.com/72type3vw/ ... bumid=1949

[This message has been edited by needhamp (edited 04-14-2002).]
BobNotch

T3-Pros and Cons

Post by BobNotch »

Yeah, I think its worth the 750 that he's asking, espescially for what you want to do with it. The big question is whether you can live with the crash damage. From your photos it doesn't look too bad, but you should get a good look under the rear gate area as thats where the cooling air gets mixed.The cooling air starts in the rear fenders from the vents in the fenders and goes to the engine via a mixing box under the rear floor and then to the engine. I hope this helps you out with your decision.
BobNotch