type 3 full flowing

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
speedwheel

type 3 full flowing

Post by speedwheel »

Hi! anybody here tried maxi 3 oil pump in your type 3's? the one that has the inlet and outlet on the pump cover? did you have clearance problems?

Thanks
Air_Cooled_Nut

type 3 full flowing

Post by Air_Cooled_Nut »

The concensus on the Type 3 mailing list is that such a pump isn't a good idea, particularly for a T3. Gene Berg had the right idea when he designed his system. It may cost more (hell, guaranteed it will) but it's a proper pump and instructions for full flow. Get it, read it, install it, be happy!
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/ttt/engine/f ... l_flow.htm
speedwheel

type 3 full flowing

Post by speedwheel »

yeah I know that this is not the best way, but what I'm looking here is simplicity plus low budget. I already have the cooler and the filter what I want to know is will the maxi 3 oil pump fit in without having clearance problem with the fan??? this is not a performance engine, this is a stock 1600 that will be used for daily driving.

Thanks
Thorkhild

type 3 full flowing

Post by Thorkhild »

yje maxi 3 does need clearanceing of the fanshroud. I had to do it to mine.

------------------
Thorkhild
1968 VW Blue Fastback
My Car Page
speedwheel

type 3 full flowing

Post by speedwheel »

ok, so its just the fan shroud? and not the fan itself? and did it do the job for you? I mean the cooling stuff?

thanks
Air_Cooled_Nut

type 3 full flowing

Post by Air_Cooled_Nut »

You keep talking about cooling but if you have a stock engine you don't need extra cooling!

If you are having cooling issues than you need to find out why and not try and band-aide the real problem.

The purpose of full flowing is for filtration, not oil cooling, though this can be done as well. FUll flowing refers to an oil filter.

------------------
Toby Erkson
[email protected]
'72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L, Berg five-speed
'95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
Portland, Oregon, http://www.icbm.org/
Air_Cooled_Nut

type 3 full flowing

Post by Air_Cooled_Nut »

Easy Tiger! The air-cooled dubs have been used world-wide and the engine thermostat system is the same. The only differences in the engine temp. regulation system I'm aware of are for very cold regions.

Going full flow for oil filtration is fine and I fully recommend it. But a stock engine with cooling problems means there is something wrong with the engine and needs to be addressed.

What country do you live in? Also, the weather is not always cool here. My parents were the original owners and we used her in southern Oregon where the temps do go over 100º for days at a time. The stock engine with two adults, two children, family dog, and no overheating! My baby was originally a California car and survived the conditions down there as well.

A/C does present a problem since it's being used during hot conditions, thus making the engine produce more heat. Are you using a 'stock' compressor or have you moved to a modern system? A modern compressor is much better because it takes less power to run it, thus it's easier on the engine. Still, many people have used a stock compressor on a stock engine and haven't had overheating issues.

If you want to use a cooler then do it right. Use a Mesa or other similar radiator-style cooler and don't use a cheap tube-and-fin style. Put the external cooler in a safe location (not in the fender well or behind the tires like so many stupid Type I owners do! and same goes for the filter) that gets a good air flow. I tested a T4 oil cooler and it did make a difference, even though it was placed too close to the road (level w/the rear axle). The higher you can get the external cooler the better (away from the road surface).

-Use an oil thermostat as well to direct oil away from the external cooler because you don't want to over-cool the oil during engine warm-up plus it helps reduce a thick oil surge, possibly rupturing the cooler or filter (depending upon placement).

-A fan won't be necessary. If you insist on one then make sure it's on a thermostatically controlled switch.

------------------
Toby Erkson
[email protected]
'72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L, Berg five-speed
'95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
Portland, Oregon, http://www.icbm.org/
speedwheel

type 3 full flowing

Post by speedwheel »

that's cool with me man. Well i just want to be sure with my engine, I mean i don't wanna wait for the trouble to come like overheating it or something. I wanna build it right the first time, you know....by the way I live here in the philippines.

Peace man!
speedwheel

type 3 full flowing

Post by speedwheel »

you're right, that's because you're in portland, where weather is always cool. I live in a country where you see a lot of 90s.
And I also plan to put A/C into it. so please don't say that I don't need cooling and that a stock 1600 won't overheat in these conditions. Plus, we have a lot of stop and go traffic, and type 3's doesn't cool much in traffic because the speed of the fan is the same as the idling speed.

Thanks a lot dude!