traction bar for early type 3??

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
ecksrash

traction bar for early type 3??

Post by ecksrash »

I'm looking for a traction bar of some design for my '66 squareback. I see that some of you have designed a truss for the late IRS cars. My square is of course a swing axle configuration. I'm not sure a type 1 truss bar will work. Any advise or direction is appreciated.
Marc

Re: traction bar for early type 3??

Post by Marc »

ecksrash wrote:I'm looking for a traction bar of some design for my '66 squareback...
What do you mean by "traction bar"? What is it you're looking to accomplish?

maureenash 's description is of "slapper" bars used to reduce leaf-spring windup and the resultant "wheel hop" on a front-engine RWD car and has no relevance to your VW.

The first issue that usually is addressed with a VW is the lack of support for the rear of the engine - adding some form of hanger across the back of the engine helps to keep the powertrain from bucking on launch...eventually that results in the frame horns bending. The added support bar used is sometimes also called a traction bar because it addresses the same symptom (wheel hop) even though the underlying cause is completely different than encountered on a front-engine car.

Swingaxle Type IIIs do have a factory-supplied rudimentary support at the rear of the engine but it's not really sufficient for hard launches. I've seen folks replace the stock rubber with stiffer material; that might be adequate for "light" duty. Berg markets several varieties of add-on rear support bar for Beetles & 'Ghias, but not one specifically designed for the Type III - I imagine one could adapt the 'Ghia-width bar fairly easily, or just fabricate the whole thing following the same principle. These are basically just a length of square tube that passes under the back of the engine case (with some type of tab or mount to hold it in place) which is hung by links connecting to brackets bolted onto the bumper-bracket locations.

http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?name=So ... &cPath=348

If you want to support the engine by something stouter than hanging it from the body, step up to a "Kafer Cup" (also called just "Kafer") bar - a system of trusses that tie the frame horns and rear shock mounts together. Again, I haven't seen one commercially available for the Type III but one should be able to adapt one made for a Type I. Here's the Mendeola "Stiffy" setup: http://www.coolrydescustoms.com/uploads ... w1280.jpeg
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Last edited by sideshow on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
ecksrash

Post by ecksrash »

Thanks Marc, The Kafer is what I'm looking for but to do it on an early type 3 its a little different than a type 1.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I think the only significantly different part would be at the shock towers, that attachment point would need to be done differently to install a Type I Kafer bar.
Check out the 6th post here by Jim Altemus: http://www.vwispwest.com/ebay/RS-TRAC-BAR.jpg

Same thread, second post - as of ten years ago, anyway, ISP West made a Type III specific setup for IRS; should be worth contacting them to see if they offer one for swingaxle.
Last edited by Marc on Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ecksrash

Post by ecksrash »

Yes, agreed. The shock towers are different. If my car wasn't assembled I would be able to see what needs to be modified and fabricate something to work.
Marc

Post by Marc »

There are pictures of the Bugpack setup that Altemus installed on his car at the thread referenced above.
"The installation was pretty straight forward since the hard points are very similar between a Type 1 and a Type 3. The big difference is the shock mount. I'm not super familiar with Type 1s but I'm assuming by the hardware included that the upper shock mount on a Type 1 is bolted through and nutted on the other side. Type 3s have a blind hole for the shock so I had to order bolts that were 20mm shorter. They are 12mm with a 1.5 pitch. If you can't find those locally McMaster Carr has them and can get them to you quickly.

Once I did that and figured out which way to orient the tabs on those shock bolts it went together pretty easy. I've read threads saying it is easier to pull the motor but I didn't need to do anything like that. Just loosen up the front cone mount and both of the big crossmember bolts, but only remove one bolt at a time, pry back a bit on the mount and the bracket drops right in. Easy peasy."
ecksrash

Post by ecksrash »

I've contacted ISP. They no longer have the traction bar available.