Squareback camping hinges DIY "work alikes"

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
Piledriver

Squareback camping hinges DIY "work alikes"

Post by Piledriver »

Pretty much says it, trying to design/make DIY "work alike" camping hinges, not repops per se.
I don't care how they look, as long as they are sturdy and work well.

Goal is to have a working design posted with off the shelf hinges etc and easy fabrication.
I have zero desire to manufacture anything, except one pair for my self, but I suspect a lot of folks could use a decent working design they can make themselves for ~$40 or less.

First: No published dimensions I can find, anywhere, in dozens of threads.
I guess no one knows how to use a ruler.

If anyone has a set, please do me a favor and advise with direct measurements, or if perhaps they would work better a little longer etc.

Aircoolednut has posted some great pics of the units on his site, with an unfortunately hard to read "12 inch ruler" noted in the pics.
type3-camping-hinge1.jpg
That has probably stymied a few folks, as careful inspection of the images and a little image processing and research says:
its a 15" rule, NOT 12".

So, now we can simply load the pic up in Sketchup-make, reset the scale via the known length of the ruler, and get the rest of the dimensions from the picture with likely sufficient accuracy.

The dimensions added are kinda hard to see (color was not my choice, sorry), I was only concerned with the end-to end and center support length and pivot point, but now you know one simple way to get dimensions of things from a posted image...
t3-camping-hinges-dimensions.jpg
I already have some nice generic hinges on some 3/16" 6061T6 scrap, and just need to set the length right and sort out how to make the hinged center support. I'm $20 into it for 4 hinges...

Hopefully will finish and test fit this weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Seths_Square

Re: Squareback camping hinges DIY "work alikes"

Post by Seths_Square »

I know this is an old thread now but I've been searching for a set of these for a while. How did you get on with them? I would be interested in buying a set if you could replicate it again, happy to discuss via PM.

Edit: I re-read your post properly, my mistake. I will try and do something with the helpful measurements you provided on the DDB image, cheers.
Piledriver

Re: Squareback camping hinges DIY "work alikes"

Post by Piledriver »

Sorry, they are still resting comfortably, waiting for attention, towards the bottom of a long list of work around mi casa.
I hope the corrected dimensions are useful. please post up if you get it working!
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.