Type 3 or a corrado

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
fusername

Type 3 or a corrado

Post by fusername »

So I am on the fence here. I just picked up a Corrado for a backup car and I am thinking about picking up a parts car to make it easier to keep on the road, but the parts car is big bucks. I found a $700 square back (no engine or trans) that helped me restore my sanity and not buy either.

fast-forward a week and my sanity is slipping again. I have an overwhelming urge to buy one of them, but I don't know which. I have the space for a long term project if it sits outside no problem, which is good because time is pretty tight.

I've fixed up several bussess, a baja bug and tub buggy. A square back would be a new experience and I love the lines on em, but I know some parts can be a little hard to find. How much more expensive would this basket case be than the typical ACVW?

this is an aircooled forum so I am sure you guys have a bias, but I just need to think outloud here. The pocket book can just barely afford it this month. The rado is 3x the price, but it would actually save me money in the long run, the square would be more fun lol.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Piledriver

Re: Type 3 or a corrado

Post by Piledriver »

The square is screaming for a T4 swap, is a great all-around car and almost as useful as a Bus.

The `Rado is 20+ years newer.

Where you live rust may make the decision for you.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Is the Corrado G60 or VR6? Put a battery in the Corrado and check all the electricals, error codes, etc. If anything doesn't work or it has obvious electrical problems turn and (don't walk) RUN the hell away from that car! Those things are an electrical nightmare and the A2 Passat wasn't far behind.

I had the same dilemma a few years ago. My uncle wanted to give me his old G60. Nothing really wrong with it and he autocrossed it several times. I didn't have the space and opted to just focus on my super beetle and it set me back maybe $1500-2000 to get it on the road and then autocross worthy.

My bias would be towards the square also.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I hate to casually suggest parting what was once a really nice car, but...

If you can score the rado cheap enough to use for parts, ANd the interior is OK, and you have a 73 T3 the seats can be made to slide into the seat rails with a few serious whacks of a mallet. (to the seats rear risers)
Highly recommended, I have a set in my 73 square.
(if you are 5'5" you might prefer a set from a Golf. the rado seats put your ass pretty low, the doors "armrest" is actually usable as such while driving)
The late rail setup can also be grafted into an early car, and for safety reasons I MOST strongly suggest doing so.
This applies to T3s AAAAND T1s

You WANT the late 3 point seat rail setup, most VW seats through mk3s at least fit for most definitions of "fit".
(must be from a 2 door (rabbit/cabriolet//Scirrocco/Golf/corrado) so they tilt forwards for rear seat access, rear rail widths vary a little but manageable with some kinetic adjustment)

It keeps you from getting a broken neck if someone plows you from behind--- the early style rails are very likely to unwrap and send you head first into the rear window in a serious rear impact.
VW redesigned the seat rails is IIRC 73 on ALL models for this reason and used the ~same design for decades after (and may still)

The owners of earlier cars were ALL supposed to install U bolts and reinforcement plates under the pans to secure the seats to the floor (non adjustable)
(I didn't get the memo either, but it exists)

I actually saw that done once, but it was on a Baja where the original seat rails had failed just from off road shenanigans.

Have seen the Corrado rear seats and side cards adapted too, I forget who did that, looked awesome, there are pics here somewhere.
Angelos yellow car?
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
fusername

Post by fusername »

I am 6ft so the rado seats would probably be fine. I was actually planning on using the seats from the rado as replacements for the seats on my 73bus as the seats are in terrible shape. Interesting points on the tracks being close, gotta love uniformity.

to be clear this thread is a debate between picking up a SECOND g60 as parts for my first one, or a project Square

yes I know I have a problem lol

all is not lost tho, a friend just expressed an interest in the square as a project so maybe it will stay close to me if nothing else! I think I'll go lowball the seller and see what happens, best case I walk away with a cheap maybe project, or the seller just says no and I move on.

the good news is a tree just took out the roof on my garage, so I think I know where my money/time will be going for hte near future, so I get to put this debate off for another 6months till I got the desire to waste more time on something new lol!
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

fusername wrote: ......
the good news is a tree just took out the roof on my garage, so I think I know where my money/time will be going for the near future, so I get to put this debate off for another 6months till I got the desire to waste more time on something new lol!
Ouch.

Your definition of good news differs a bit from mine, but at least it didn't land on you.
fusername

Post by fusername »

actually yeah, I just finished putting a new floor in up there, had it come down 2 days earlier there is a solid chance I coulda gotten pinned under the rafters. That dormer is ~1' lower than it was originally. A friend pointed out had I not just put that 3/4 floor in over the existing floor the whole structure may not have had the shear strength to stay vertical, so I am standing by my good news claim lol

also anytime the fates decide where my money has to go I consider it lucky, cause I have 0 power to make up my own cheap mind on these things.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.