How to remove window regulator?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
Max Welton

How to remove window regulator?

Post by Max Welton »

My 68 squareback is my daily driver. And it's an old rusty car and I'm in a continual battle to keep enough car working to keep driving it.

The current issue is the driver's side window. We've just had a pretty wet week and now the window doesn't move well. It hasn't been great for sometime and I've now stopped rolling it down to avoid breaking something.

I do have a later type-3 left side door that still has its regulator. It seems to move OK. My clever plan is to remove the regulator from the donor door, do what I can to clean and lubricate it, then swap it into the 68s door.

But I can't figure out how to get the regulator out of the donor door. There is a collection of 10mm bolts that appear to be holding the assembly into the inner panel of the door. I haven't been able to get any of them to back all the way out. They turn, but they do not back out all the way.

One good thing is that I have not yet attacked the 68s door. So I can still drive the car to work tomorrow. But clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Guidance?

Max