Rescued a fat chick today

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
aircooledtechguy

Rescued a fat chick today

Post by aircooledtechguy »

Today me and a friend went on a little trip out to Lopez Island, WA in the San Juans to pick up a car that a guy has called me about. I call the San Juan Islands the "PNW roach motel for cars" because cars check on the islands but they never check off the islands. So they are full of really nice cars waiting to be discovered. This one was a ’71 Square. Not really my thing, but my buddy really needs a car, so. . .

According to the owner, the motor for it was pulled and was still injected, but was told it smoked badly. So I have a spare complete T-3 1600 laying around at the shop that runs perfect, so the plan is just to transplant that into it and send it down the road.

When I the guy called, he claimed that it had virtually no rust and about a 10 y/o paint job that had sat for 8 of those 10 years. He claimed no dents and totally solid. :roll: Well excuse me for being a little jaded, but those claims are as chiche’ as they come in car circles, so I had my doubts. :roll: Since I could only see the car in photos before I bought it, I wasn’t going to spend much considering it cost about $100 (all things included) to get out to Lopez Island via ferry. We struck a tentative deal @ $600 if it is as described.

So we get out there this morning on the first Ferry. . . It’s EXACTLY as described!! :shock: I was shocked. We loaded it up on my car dolly and made a dash for the return ferry. Here’s the car as purchased waiting in the ferry line and on the boat.

We got it back to the shop, my buddy Dave (the soon to be car owner) began the clean-up, vacuuming and washing.

After close inspection, we discovered that not only is it a truly rust-free car, but it also has a nearly new factory muffler that is complete out to the tail pipe in excellent condition with very low miles on it and ALL it's engine tin. That was a real plus. But the real surprise was when I lifted the rear seat bottom and found that it had a pair of the rare accessory Hul Camping hinges installed!!

The only down side to the car is that the previous owner outfitted it with “Tweetie Bird” mud flaps and other various Tweetie bird crap. . . “I taut I taw a dump pwevious owner!!” Needless to say, that gay-@ss crap is at the bottom of the garbage can. . . Unfortunately I think they had it painted the same Tweetie bird yellow too. But hey, I don't have to roll in that thing so that's not my problem 8) . It cleaned-up well and I think even the paint, while not perfect, will shine right-up with some waxing and buffing.

All in all, it was a good day and a good score. I’m happy that my buddy will have a good solid car to drive his two boys around in when it’s back on the road.
Piledriver

Re: Rescued a fat chick today

Post by Piledriver »

Nice save!
Paint the rims flat black.

I was considering just about that shade of yellow (or something even more obnoxious) for my 73 square. :twisted:

Now I'm thinking appliance white, it's really the only sane color in Dallas sun.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
gearheadgreg

Re: Rescued a fat chick today

Post by gearheadgreg »

That's awesome. Isn't it funny how those of us that buy and sell a fair amount always expect to find a car that is no where near as good as described, and it's so surprising when it's accurate?! Pleasant surprise, but still.

Nice score. I'm still trying to get a local Fasty that's not nearly as clean...
Dealer for Alloy Wheels & Period H4s and Fog/Driving Lights

http://www.greggearhead.com